1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD EM5 Mark 2 cleaning help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fonzie, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Fonzie

Fonzie New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2015
    Hi everyone,
    I've got an EM5 mark 2 and I keep getting these black spots on my photos when I'm at a high F stop, like F18, F22. Olympus told me to send it in for "repairs and maintenance" but the problem is I leave next week on a holiday to Switzerland and that's kind of the reason I got the camera. The camera is a little over a month old and there's no way I'm getting my camera back in a weeks time if I send it in. So is there a way I can clean this properly without ruining the sensor? Or am I boned? I also already tried the "cleaning mode" on the camera and that did nothing.

Thanks,
    -Fonzie

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can only suggest two things:

- I personally hardly ever shoot at a narrower aperture than about f5.6 or f8. Diffraction sets in after that and TBH, most u43 lenses are at their sweet spot from f2.8 to f5.6. If you're only seeing the sensor dust at very small apertures, I'd just forget about it. Even if it does appear, it's likely to be on skies and can be easily cloned out.

- If you really need to clean the sensor then in my experience it's doable - with care.

You'll need some APSC Sensorswabs and some Eclipse solution (or alternatives from other manufacturers). The APSC swabs fit reasonably well across the wide side of the u43 frame. You can read lots of guides on sensor cleaning in general on the web. The additional thing you'll need to consider for Oly cameras is the IBIS. I've done it several times on my E-M5 and E-M1 without any negative effects. My method was to ensure the camera was turned off (so IBIS de-activated) and lying back-down on a table. I then cleaned the sensor very carefully, taking care not to apply too much pressure (basically making sure I didn't move the sensor around). As I said, I've not had any mishaps and wouldn't hesitate to do it again, but you'll need to make your own mind up about doing it.

3. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Do you often shoot at those kind of apertures with M43?!

If no spots are visible in (what I'd call) normal use apertures, I'd use it on holiday then send it away/clean the sensor on your return.

4. Fonzie

Fonzie New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2015
    Thank you VERY MUCH for that useful info. I really appreciate it. I'm a bit nervous about touching the sensor after what I'm reading online so in the meantime I think I'll take your advice about shooting at between F2 and F8. It does only show in skies (which I like to shoot) and like you said, it is very easily cloned out. I'm not confident enough to mess with the sensor yet so I'll send it in for service when I return. But what you said makes me feel better about it and it's not such a big deal. Really appreciate your help with a detailed answer and ill know what to get when I'm ready to clean it on my own. Thank you!

5. Fonzie

Fonzie New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2015
    To be honest not really, but I just noticed it last night when I was shooting some sunset photos that it was appearing at about F16 and it was really bothering me. I'm going to do exactly that and send it after the holidays

6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    You can try "sensor clean gel pen", it's very easy to use, mostly sell in Asia, I saw someone selling about $50 on ebay.

7. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    many user think that if you shoot f/11-16 you will get clean and sharp photo - you will get just opposite of that :)
    shoot f/5.6 od f/8 max and that is for kit lens and shoot f/2.8-5.6 for normal and pro lens - in m43

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Remember the 2x factor. There should almost never be a need for f/22 - or even f/16. I pretty much stay at f/8 or below unless I am trying to slow the shutter down for special effects.