OMD EM5 II Lock Up?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JDK504, Sep 15, 2016.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I was using my EM5 II last night shooting my girls at magic hour and my camera locked up.

I had to remove the battery (take the battery grip off) to reset it. This is about the third time

that this has happened in about a year and half (since its release). I have noticed that this only

happens when I use my Nocticron. It has never happened with my PL 25 or PL 15, maybe a

coincidence?

I was shooting in A mode wide open on silent shutter AF (shooting into the sun). The other times the lock up have occurred I was shooting in the same modes, but at different times of the day.

My firmware is the original since release. Is this something I should be worried about or is this something that just happens and I/we have to live with it? Should I update FW? I haven't updated because I have heard problems happening from doing so.

My camera is still under warranty.

Anyone else experience this?

2. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Nobody has had this happen to them whether it was their EM5/II or EM1 or any camera, Panasonic?

3. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    All my cameras are up to date and I never had any problems, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions as at least one person reported problems on this forum AFAIK.

There are real enhancements in the latest firmwares (better AF for example), updating looks interesting: E-M5 Mark II &gt Software Downloads

Never with my other cameras.
    I just have the E-M5 Mk II since this summer, I did not use it that much, so it's hard to conclude anything relevant. I mainly used it with Panasonic zooms (12-35 f/2.8, 35-100 f/2.8 and 100-300).

4. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    thank you for the reply. I was just thinking its just one of those things that happens and I'll have to live with it. Both of my batteries are from Olympus and all my sd cards are the same and i format them in camera.
    It hasnt all that often, but did happen yesterday during a crucial moment, so that is what really kind of ticked me off. I guess I'll just take it as something that goes with the territory and technology.

5. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    I think it's rather human factor%)
    Never experienced any issues with em5ii. My GF took it for shooting - happene same thing as to you, but with 12-40 lens.
    If i were abused in the same way as camera was, i would have probably locked up too - changing swiwifel screen Position fromselfie to weird angles every few seconds, simultanious usage of Touchscreen, Buttons and dials(no joke, she couldn't even explain what she tried to achieve ), wild rotating of both dials in random directions, and constant switching between LCD and EVF (hands all over Touchscreen even over EVF sensor).
    In conclusion we agreed that it's not an iCamera, and has huge lack of ergonomics and user usability flaws, the technology isn't just ripe enough for her - since then no issues experienced.)

6. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Yes you should, you cannot remove/rule-out software bugs unless you do this. There are stories of the updates going wrong but they are few and far between... I'd chalk those up to user error anyhow. I keep all of lenses and body updated and never had trouble.

Second, do you by chance bump the camera before this happens? I know with the e-m1 and special shutter modes (electronic or shortened delay) a bump to the camera can knock the shutter holding mechanism (an electromagnetic affair) and release the shutter requiring a restart to reset things. This migth be the issue; no damage done if this is the case.

7. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I think anything is possible. What might seem like a slight nudge to me might be a big hit to the camera. I will look into a FW update if the problem persists.

8. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013

Ya could be. I was reviewing a lot of pictures at the time and shooting a lot. Who knows at this point. I did a test last night and shot a thousand pix with no freeze up. Like I said it has happened pretty rarely
    since ownership and it very well could be me.