OMD EM5 II LCD just died!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by namasste, Dec 1, 2017.

1. namasste

namasste Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Scott
    Its bizarre, it has worked flawlessly, even seconds before death, took a few more quick shots but when I went to look at the image on the LCD, nothin. The EVF works, dials and buttons work and it takes images but the LCD won't do anything which means I just lost many of the features of the camera. Anyone have any ideas on a fix or is this an "off to Olympus" situation? I've turned it on and off, changed batteries, changed lenses, pushed the info and menu buttons...just wont respond. Needless to say I am bummed. I bought the body used so I'm not even sure I have any warranty.

2. pkent

pkent Mu-43 Rookie Subscribing Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Olympus America charged me $212.13 to fix this exact problem on my 18 month old EM5II last December. The fold out LCD died with no warning on a well cared for camera. The screen did not reactivate with any amount of button pressing, battery or lens changing. Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast Subscribing Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @namasste@namasste Sorry to hear your LCD display died. I bought mine refurbished and it failed but in my case it was due to turning the display too much. It looked like the internal part that stops the display from going past a certain point didn't keep it from getting turned to far. Olympus repaired it at no charge just before the 90 day warranty was up. I'm more careful with it now. For photography I prefer the tilting display the older EM-5 has.

• Like Like x 1
  4. namasste

namasste Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Scott
    Thanks guys. I wouldn't be as bummed if I had done something to cause the problem but this literally just came out of nowhere and for no apparent reason. Disappointing for sure.

5. namasste

namasste Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Scott
    OK, woulda ya??? $36 and it really doesn't seem like there's much to it. Remove six small screws, undo the ribbon cable, connect new cable and reinstall screws. I am still trying to determine if I am out of warranty (waiting for a response from the forum member I bought this from). If I am out, I guess I could try this and worst case is I send it into Oly anyway. Thoughts?

NEW LCD Display Screen for Olympus OM-D E-M5 MARK II Digital Camera + Touch | eBay

6. StanS

StanS Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2017
    I've changed an LCD on a Lumix G3. It wasn't too difficult, you just need to be careful not to break the ribbon cables. I think it's worth the shot if you are out of warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada
    I just got an E-M5ii and this has me worried...... how common is this problem

8. namasste

namasste Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Scott
    I really don't know. Obviously, if you surf the web, you'll find lots of people with the problem but probably just as obvious, you are only going to see posts from those folks, not people mentioning their screen works fine. All that said, I have more clicks on non-articulating Canon gear than I can to admit and never once has it been an issue. once fixed, I think I am going to just leave the LCD in a fixed position and call it a day.

9. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Usually this thing happen

E-m5 Mark II on/off switch doesn't respond

That's one big reason i sold mine and buy Pen F instead.

10. emmbeedee

emmbeedee New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2017
    I have two M5-ii bodies and haven't had any problems at all in two years of ownership.

11. namasste

namasste Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Scott
    OK, so I took it apart and it seems like the issue is/was a loose (not) connected flex cable coming from the body to the lcd board. Since it was disconnected, I just don't know a) where to attache the loose cable you see and b) how to go about attaching it. I think If I could do that, I might just be back in business. Anyone have an idea on this???

Attached Files:

12. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I think it should attach to the circled connector. Try gently without forcing to see if that works. Align it horizontally with the letter side up and slide inwards.
    upload_2017-12-6_13-33-33.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    I've not got an e-m5ii to dissect but it would look to me to go here (question is which way round):
    Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 21.32.59.

14. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Beat me to it! But now we have a consensus!

15. namasste

namasste Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Scott
    you guys are seriously awesome, thanks. Gonna give it a shot and will report back shortly!

16. namasste

namasste Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Scott
    hmmm, so there's a little tiny plastic "latch" over the connection spot which I opened and it seems it would hold the ribbon cable in place but for the life of me I cannot get the cable to stay put when I try closing it. It does look like the connection points on the ribbon suggest the lettering facing down not up but I can experiment with both once I see if I can get it to connect to that spot you both pointed out.

17. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    You need 3 hands for this kind of task. Or an assistant.

Be careful with trial and error approach though, I'm no expert but I would guess there is a risk of permanent damage if it goes in the wrong way. I'd hope there is someone else who may have done this before that might be able to reply to you if you can afford to be a little patient.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Maybe watch this video, especially mention of T-shaped section at 7:15. You might find the same features on the ribbon you are trying to reconnect.

19. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    My guess for letter side up was based on the orientation of the cable and the board. Sounds like that was wrong.

Is there a little dot on the ribbon connector piece which lines up with that circular notch in the center the board connector? That probably tells you how far you need to insert the ribbon cable. You may be pushing the cable too far in.

20. namasste

namasste Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Scott
    Sooooo frustrating but I just cant do it. I am sure that the ribbon cable goes there and equally sure that it is the reason the LCD isn't working. That should be the tough part but its not, its simply connecting the damn ribbon to the connector. I may leave it unassembled and take it into a shop tomorrow and see if they can simply connect that for me for some small fee. I'd even imagine any cell phone repair shop would probably be able to do it for almost nothing. You guys have been so helpful and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to help. I am at the point I want to throw this thing against the wall which is usually the best time to walk away for a few moments. I just can't believe I can't make a simple connection when it seems obvious what needs to be done. Grrrrr.