OMD EM5 hot show cover

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rxstuve, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Ok so been out shooting 3 times with the EM5 and noticed the hot shoe cover is now MIA. Doh! Don't see this on the Olympus website as a replacement accessory. I talked with Olympus and they will be adding it to the store in the near future. I assume at a hi price.

I assume this is a standard hot shoe and I bet even though Olympus does not state that it would work with a generic one that it does. Any thoughts?

Semper Fi
  2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Heh- you're fine without it being there.

I like to keep mine on (I'm pretty OCD like that)- but I know many people who immediately throw it away as soon as the camera arrives home.

I suppose you can get an "official Olympus" cover, I imagine it won't be cheap- we're talking about a company that sells $75-100 lens hoods :wink: You'd be better off buying a generic one.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    I lost so many on my E-P2 that I ordered a dozen from Olympus - the white ones were very cheap. I have been wondering if the cover is the same as the one on the E-P1 - it has no accessory port so it was just a flat cover - bet it would work.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    I've bought a bunch on eBay, because I just know that every few months I'm going to lose it. What I should've done is kept the E-M5 one in the box, but I didn't, and have lost it already.
  5. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

I always put mine back in the camera box so it is safe for when I sell the camera, except this time I left it on my E-M5 just an hour or two too long and its gone. It may turn up, but I'm not bothered if it doesn't, its not like they do anything.

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I've lost mine from every Oly I've owned...don't know why Oly even bothers with them as previous cameras I've bought never had them.
  7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    If it's any help at all, I noticed that if you put it on essentially backwards (with the arrow facing forward not back) it is a considerably tighter fit and can help avoid loss. Just something I found out quite by accident. I used my FL600 flash, then replaced the hot shoe cover backward but noted it was nice and snug. Hmmm
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I've found that if you just press down on both side of the hot shoe flange with a a set of pliers( closed position) using the front tip. It will make it a little tighter and the cover then fits very snugly. I did this with my E-P3( as its the only one of my bodies that had a loose fitting hotshoe, and now the cover or the vf-2 takes some force in order to insert or remove it. I think the hotshoes can have some variation in size, olympus must not have very good quality control on the manufacturing of this one item. Oh and if your worried about scratching it, just put a piece of thin cloth between the shoe and the pliers.