OMD EM5 HLD-6 Fail!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rxstuve, Feb 12, 2014.

1. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    I was curious if anyone has issues with the Landscape grip of the HLD-6 threaded insert? Today I have returned the grip / battery holder to Olympus for repair out of warranty. I leave the landscape grip on always and in certain instances use the battery holder / portrait add on. I recently noticed the battery holder would rock when locked down tight. So much so that the connector pins would become intermittent and reset the camera. After some investigation the center 1/4 thread in the landscape grip was pulling out and created a raised bump that caused the rocking.

I am not sure if over tightening the battery grip caused the problem or if the use of my camdapter hand strap into the bottom of the landscape grip caused the issue. This is a combo hand strap / arcs swiss plate that allows me to attach to a tripod with out removing the strap.

The Landscape grip is plastic so I can see I could have caused this myself.

Has anyone else had the thread pulling out?
  2. luxco

luxco New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2010
    Have the HLD-6 on my E-M5 all the time except when I have to change the camera battery. Have been putting it to very heavy use (for me) over the last week down in San Diego County and it has remained and is rock solid. No problems ever and appreciate the extra battery capacity.
  3. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Mine gave up pretty fast. The thumb wheels stopped functioning. I had it repair (100+ dollars) and still some months later it failed again. I suspect the same problem
  4. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I saw the same scenario as OP mentioned when I was shopping for my first used grip in person, the center thread got pulled out about 3mm and I see cracks on the plastic piece that was supposed to hold the metal thread in place. Although I bought from another guy later on, I think that's a very poor design as I hang my camera +1235 + FL600R + small softbox upside down with shoulder strap at work every time. The pulled thread will definitely NOT able to hold the weight of the combo. I check the thread frequently when I am on a job, I can't afford to lose a flash, a lens, an EM-5 and possibly my business all due to a poor screw / thread design.....