Omd em5 full time focus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ampl465a, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ampl465a

ampl465a Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    I have this feature turned off but the beep on for focus and so I hear my camera is focusing all the time. I have it set to focus on half press so is there a fault or have I got the settings wrong thanks

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What you might be hearing are the aperture blades changing in the variable light as they need to close down in brighter light for the monitor (or EVF) to be not overly bright during monitoring before the shutter button pressed. That is regardless of what aperture settings you may choose & some lenses may do it more often than others (such as large aperture lenses perhaps).

3. ampl465a

ampl465a Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    I think I may have solved my problem.

I would randomly have the camera fire off a number of shots without me touching the shutter button. I thought I must be pressing on the touch screen and the camera would focus and shoot.

But I have the battery grip which has a shutter button on it. I finally looked closely and noticed that the lock lever was in the unlocked position and so what I think has been happening is that I was pressing on the shutter button on the battery grip with my palm. Pressed lightly and the camera focuses and beeps, press harder and the camera takes ransom pictures.

Since I locked it, I have not had the issue arise again.
    I had it locked but must have accidentally moved the lever to unlock and didn't notice.

What an idiot!!!!!

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually, there is a not so well known issue with Oly's grips (including the HLD-4 but physically it doesn't matter so much) & that is although the lock switch is ON, if the grip's shutter button is pressed in fully (unbeknown), then half pressing the camera's shutter button (for locking focus) will take the shot because the lower one is pressed in, even though it is supposed to be locked.
    I got around this by shielding the portrait shutter button like this.
    P3073185-s.
    P3073186-s.

Which is this covered in leather & stuck on with double sided tape.
    O3072677-s.

:drinks:

Attached Files: