1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD EM5 fast lens issues...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sam_m, Mar 8, 2014.

1. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Has anyone had this issue on their EM5? Basically if I use a fast Aperture lens, from about F2.8 and faster, sometimes when I first switch on the camera and take a shot, the first shot taken looks like the image is really underexposed, but the next shot exposes correctly even with exactly the same shutter speed, ISO and aperture.

Example below, both exactly the same settings. Only seems to happen with faster lenses. Its almost like the Aperture blades are sticking on the first shot, but it must be something to do with the shutter.

Both were with the Panasonic 35-100, 35mm, F2.8, 1/3200. It also happens alot with the 20mm F1.7 and 45mm F1.8.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? too be honest its been like this for quite a long time, but only just decided to post it up.

Regards
    Sam

2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Weird, indeed.
    EXIF file could help. Are you sure you don't take EC-bracketed shots?

Have you tried, and put the the E-M5 into burst drive - switch off - keep shutter button pressed down - turn on - have it fire a few frames, and check then?

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Hmm. Might be a faulty shutter.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It is not a lens issue, but rather a sticky shutter issue at high speeds. This is not as uncommon on the E-M5 as we would like, and the repair involves replacing the shutter. I have a body on the way for repair as we speak. A quick search will bring up a number of similar threads, mostly ad DPReview.

Good luck,

--Ken

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Try taking some shots at max shutter speed too - you may see some darkening of the image at the top. This is also indicative of shutter problems too.

6. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks all, and yes a bit more research looks like its a sticky shutter issue at fast speeds, what a shame :(. Guess I better get it off to Olympus for repair.

7. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I had that issue when I bought an E-M5 when it first came out. Random dark shot after shooting a bunch of frames consecutively. It's the camera body, not the lens. I sent it into Olympus and they literally just sent me a brand new camera, which didn't have that issue.

8. ico

ico New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2014
    I had one has this problem. Found the problem in the first two weeks i bought it. At 1/3200 shutter or higher, the first several pictures are under exposure. Had it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk