OMD EM5 Face detect false positives

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stevedo, Oct 20, 2015.

1. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I'm on my second OMD EM5 after my first body met a watery end in Belize earlier this year. On both bodies I often try to use face detection which I find to be reasonably accurate and the eye priority works particularly well. However, on both bodies, I notice false positives i.e. the focus box picks up something which is clearly not a face and could never be mistaken for a face. As an example it might pick up a pattern in a background tree and focus on that. This happens frequently enough for it, at times, to make face detect unusable which is a shame. Does anyone else experience this kind of behaviour or is it just me?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes. It too often finds faces I don't care about in crowds, so I leave it off except when taking portraits. The accuracy is great when it's a positive match though. I haven't tried Panasonic's priority system for rembered faces might work better, but requires some prior setup.
  3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I've found it happening occasionally as well....... it's not perfect, but it is very, very good 95% of the time..... I was taking a wide-ish angle shot of one of our rooms after doing some work on it, and it picked up a face in a photograph on the wall at an angle of about 45 degrees to the lens....... very impressive (even when you don't want it to be!).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    on my old em5, I turned off face detection due to too many false positives. Not just because the focus is wrong, but also because it changes the exposure as well. Exposure is set according the so called "face"
  5. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I get the false positives as well at times, but I find that if I move the camera off the subject then come back to compose/focus again it generally doesn't pick up the same false positive. Or if it's some object near the edge and I can move the camera enough that the only face detected is the one I care about I half press to lock focus and then come back to my original composition. Yes it's annoying to work around sometimes, but since face detect works so well the vast majority of the time I keep it on.
  6. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    I only use it when photographing people. It seems to work extremely well for me.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Yep have got this many times on my Olympus bodies
    I don't take much notice
    This is a machine programmed to try to interpret what our brain does !
    Almost impossible to make it work perfectly I would think
    Pretty impressed and sometimes astonished with how well it works generally
    • Agree Agree x 1