OMD -EM5 crack at the bottom bezel of the screen. Normal?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by alvinksu, Nov 20, 2012.

1. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    I got my E-M5 last august. Lately, I notice that a hairline crack starts to appear where the screws at the bottom bezel of the screen. The middle screw have a crack, the left starts to appear. See attached photo.

I'm wondering, it's just me or this is typical?

I called olympus and they told me to send it in. But I don't know why this is happening and I'm afraid it will appear again and again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I recall seeing at least one other user reporting such issue on this forum before, but I sure hope this is an exception rather than the norm!

3. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Sounds like a quality control issue with the plastics of the frame. Chances are that part was outsourced and the supplier put out some bad plastic. It happens in all industries, and fortunately in your case it is in warranty and is an issue that can easily be resolved by replacing it with parts made to spec.

Another possibility is screws that were over tightened at the factory due to a bad setting on the relevant machine. Otherwise, same as above.

4. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    I'll send my camera to oly for repair. I wish
    The bezel is magnesium!! And not plastic. Thanks guys.

5. Stonehollow

Stonehollow Guest

Thanks for posting. Mine is the same way, never noticed it. :(

6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Just checked mine, and I also see a hairline line (I hesitate calling it a crack...). Never noticed it before - or if I did, it didn't concern me. It is much less obvious than in the OP's images - more like what's visible at the left screw in the OP's images.

Are we sure that this is a defect? Or are we jumping to conclusions? Perhaps it's a joint between two pieces whose tolerance is better on some cameras than on others? (Just asking...)

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am steering clear of the OMD. These quality issues are piling up, and they are issues I haven't seen on other cameras. Just out-and-out structural failures.

8. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    It seems that the crack is unacceptable. For sure it wont affect photo quality. Still a great camera. The crack probably started just as a hairline like what you have now. Eventually, it will crack i guess. So the crack will affect the weathersealing? Or its neglectable? Is it going to get bigger? Is it going to eventually split? I really dont know. I only have this camera for 3 months. For me, its not a wear and tear.. Its a crack and crack is defective. This never happened to my 60D or my old e520 oly.

9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I just noticed I have a faint hairline crack too. Doesn't look as cracked as the OP. Gaffer tape here we go

10. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    I was about to send mine for warranty. I would wait a bit to see how it goes. Maybe wait until all 3 screws will show cracks and fall apart. Update us how the hairline thingy if it grows on you. LOL

11. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I have two black body OMDs and I can see the beginning of a crack on one of them myself. The thing about it is that if I rub my finger lightly across the area, I can slightly feel the crack. I think that I will see about sending it in for repairs myself. I would hate to keep it and then find out that it gets worse when it is out of warranty.

12. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Another EM5 cracked here.

13. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The crack is right by the screw, which would suggest over tightening of the screw?

14. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    It could be where it is joined together and some joints just might look better than the others. I am wondering if the OP sent in his pictures of his problem into Olympus before they ask him to send his OMD in or if they are just requesting him to send it in from his description of the problem.

15. ryanl

ryanl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012
    just checked mine - same as all the other posters: crack. it's like the frame can't withstand the tortional stress put on it when it's lifted away from the body - I assume we all lift it away in a similar fashion...

Frustrating. I waited two months to get this thing. Less than 6 months of usage and it's cracking? i couldn't have babied it any more if it were an actual baby...

16. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I do not lift my screen for any viewing, I have never used it in that manner. As a matter of fact other than using it for looking at the menu and info screen I never touch my screen and I have that problem with just one of my OMDs.

17. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    i told them the problem and they asked me to send it in for evaluation. maybe i'll email them the picture and see what happens. I do not lift my screen that much too. OMD is suppose to be able to take some abuse like the E-5. But so far, no abuse and this happens. Maybe they should have use a polycabonate then this won't happen? I wonder h'ws the Sony Nex when it comes to this flip screen.

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I just noticed mine is cracked too - but I never noticed it before and its so tiny and inconspicuous I doubt a future owner would notice. I also doubt the crack could expand. So I likely won't be sending mine in to Olympus for repair.

These cameras will be technologically obsolete in 2-3 years and the majority of owners will be selling them by then including me. So I personally am not real concerned about minor build quality issues unless one crops up that affects image quality or the actual operation of the camera. So far my OM-D has been functioning flawlessly since May.

19. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    When my OMD is mounted on a manfrotto quickrelease plate, the LCD always catches the plate when being tilted. Luckily, i dont have a crack, but it might happen sooner or later

20. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've got a hairline fracture as well. Disturbing.