1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM5 and ACR in Photoshop CS5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Molly2, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Molly2

Molly2 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2013
    Hi - I have got the above (ACR - 6.7.0.39). I understood that it should be possible to add the OMD EM5 camera profile into the system to help deal with chromatic aberration which is a often a problem (I have to adjust each bit manually with selective hue/saturation etc in CS5 which is a pain - and why I'm hesitating about getting a 9 18 lens).

Does anybody know here if it IS possible to get this camera profile into my system? And if is possible to do so then a) will it improve things and b) how it is done (idiots guide please)?

I gather that Lightroom deal with the problem better but I'm not keen on paying for yet more software, learning more software and adding another stage to post production if I can avoid it.

Answers very welcome please.......

Thanks in advance.........

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    If ACR is opening E-M5 RAW files then it is using an E-M5 camera profile.

Go to the Camera Calibration pane and click on the Profile drop menu. It is probably displaying "Adobe Standard" and when you click on it you should get a list which includes Camera Muted, Camera Natural, Camera Vivid, and Camera Portrait. Those are all slightly different profiles for an E-M5. The profile list doesn't identify the camera, it just lists the profiles available for the camera. The camera is identified in the metadata which you can see in the Library module if you scroll down the right side a bit. If there are no profiles for your camera, ACR and Lightroom won't open RAW files from cameras.

Yes, it's not very obvious that they are E-M5 profiles but don't worry, they actually are.

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    PS—You'll probably think about lens profiles at some stage also. ACR won't list any for native micro four thirds lenses. The reason for that is that the profile is embedded in the metadata the camera includes in the image file it creates and that profile is then applied automatically by ACR/Lightroom when it opens the image. The lens profile isn't listed simply because you don't get to choose it, it just gets applied.

It is possible to create and instal other lens profiles and I understand that you can even download some from Adobe. If you install additional lens profiles then you will see those profiles displayed in the lens profile list but unless you actually do instal other profiles you simply don't have to worry about selecting a lens profile for native lenses. The lens manufacturer's standard profile for the lens is always automatically applied for us.

4. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    New cameras will eventually force the software purchase. Watch for sales on LR5 at Christmas - you'll be able to get it for around $60. It does 90% of what you'll need for image editing and then you can buy Elements for less than $100 for the other stuff. Pas is a bloated behemoth that is not needed by most photographers, IMHO.

5. Molly2

Molly2 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2013
    Thanks for such a clear explanation! I had no idea of any of that - let alone those options which do look really useful. As you say, there are still no lens profiles for me to choose though so I guess the chromatic aberation control I get now is as good as it will get.....ie not very great...so LR or else continuing to deal with it manually in PS remains the only option....
    Oh well.....
    Decision re 9-18 still hangs in the air....!!!!
    And maybe a play with LR to see how good it is with CA and the EM5 - and an eye open for a bargain!
    Thanks again.

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Chromatic aberration is messy with M43.

Some cameras, Panasonic, include CA correction data in the lens profile data so that gets applied automatically. Most Olympus bodies don't do that (I think the E-M1 may for some lenses) so you have to click on the chromatic aberration check box. It actually works quite well.

There's a second chromatic aberration called purple and green fringing which does not get corrected by the chromatic aberration control because it works in a different way. If you're seeing that you need to correct for it separately but it's a "semi-automatic" process that usually works quite easily and well. In the controls for correcting fringing there's an eye dropper tool. Select it, move it to an area with the worst fringing and click it on an area of fringing. Lightroom removes the fringing if it can. The only problem with this is that it does it essentially by eliminating a narrow colour band and if there are objects in the scene that have a colour that is in that band they will get changed as well. In my experience that very rarely happens and I'm almost always happy with the result.

I used to use Aperture before swapping to Lightroom. If you're unhappy with how ACR deals with Chromatic Aberration then don't try Aperture. I could never do a decent job in Aperture. ACR/Lightroom is actually very good for these problems once you get the hang of it.

BTW, when it comes to the processing side of thing Lightroom and ACR are identical. Lightroom builds ACR into what it calls a "Develop Module" and has other modules for file management, printing, sharing and so on. If you can't do something in ACR alone, then you can't do it in Lightroom on it's own either and you'll still need to go to whatever application you use for that bit of processing with ACR.

7. Molly2

Molly2 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2013
    Thanks so much for this. If LR is the same as ACR then I won't waste my money!
    Yes, my biggest bugbear is the purple/green variety and sometimes global adjustment is ok but when this doesn't work adjusting each small area in PS Hue/Saturation is just tiresome....
    However, it sounds like there's no simple and easy way around it.
    I guess I just need to be more patient and/or methodical in my approach - or avoid backlighting, extreme contrast etc!
    Very many thanks for such clarity.