1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD - EM10 (v1), or EPL7

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, Sep 24, 2016.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I think I know the answer here, but which would you go for ? Major upgrade from EPL1. Both are about the same price. The question looks more ridiculous in print than it did in my head, but, whatever. If I can't ask here, where can I ask it ?
    Thanks for the input.

2. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Are you comfortable without a built in viewfinder? That seems to me to be the biggest difference. From reading the specs, they appear to be almost the same camera.

FWIW, I'm very happy with my E-M10. Image quality is virtually identical to the EM1. But I could never be happy working without a viewfinder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    The E-M10 has an EVF and an extra control dial. About the only advantage of the E-PL7 is that it's a little smaller due to the absence of an EVF. I went from an E-PL1 to an E-M10 mainly for the EVF and control dials. For me, the E-M10 has been the perfect camera, and I haven't been tempted by any of the more recent models.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BostonC

BostonC New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2016
    EPL7 will be easier to carry, besides that EM10 is superior in every other way. In addition to the EVF, it has the dual wheel control, that provides superior handling and is a joy to use.

5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Both are great cameras. But the EM10 has useful features over the EPL7 and I think the build quality is a slight step up, too. Moreover, the price differential is mostly vanished at this point -- unless the EPL7's looks + slight size advantage are significant factors for you, EM10 makes sense.

(But really, can't go wrong with either.)

6. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Apart from the evf which everyone else has pointed out, the E-M10 fits better in your hand (mine anyway), and has the option for a grip which are also more affordable now. The pl7 may be lighter and have a smaller footprint but The E-m10 is more ergonomic and easier to hand hold and carry around for long periods. Also, the E-m10 has slightly lower battery life at 320 shot vs 350 on the pl7. Other than that they're pretty much the same.

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I need a viewfinder and use strobe so EM10. I might have gotten one of the various Pens in the past but not being able to use a viewfinder and flash at the same time is a deal breaker for me.

After a 20% off sale on refurbs at the Olympus outlet I now have a pair of EM10s. I'm very happy with them.

Fred

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    What are you looking to upgrade? Both have the same sensor, IS system, and image processor. Sure the E-M10 has better/more control points; a built in EVF and flash; and a wonderful optional grip that makes handling with larger lenses even better. But the E-PL7 with either the Oly 14-42 EZ or Pan 12-32 is more jacket pocket friendly.

9. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2013
    Porto, Portugal
    José Saraiva
    I've purchased an E-M10mkII after already owning an E-PL7. Sold the E-M10 a few months latter. Main reasons:

1) EVF visibly inferior to the VF-4 I use most of the time on the E-PL7
    2) E-M10 requires left hand to turn on and then right to shoot. E-PL7 is much faster using just right hand;
    3) E-PL7 is significantly easier to carry on a small bag due to its form, with EVF detached.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    I believe the OP was talking about the E-M10 mkI, so the second point doesn't apply. The other two points are correct. However, one must factor in the additional cost of the VF-4 and its bulk while on the camera.

11. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I have the EVF that I use with my EPL1. EVF2. If that's not compatible, I'll have to buy one that is, eventually.
    Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate them.
    I guess I'll wait and see what happens around the holidays.

12. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    If you already have the VF-2, that eliminates the cost differential of having to acquire a VF for the E-PL7. The VF-2 is also identical in resolution to the EVF in the E-M10. I used a VF-2 with my E-PL1 as well, and I still have both. The E-M10 is actually a good bit smaller than the E-PL1 with VF-2 attached.

I got my E-M10 before there was an E-PL7, but I would make the same choice today. I prefer a built-in EVF, and I like having 2 control dials. If those aren't important to you, the E-PL7 sounds like a good choice.