OMD EM10- tight lens mount?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ornithology, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Hi all,
    Love my new OMD EM10. Possibly the most discreet, compact, high quality camera with many pro functions. My only concern is that many of my lenses are quite "tight" when I install them. They require a lot more effort than did my GX7/EM5 before. Anyone have the same issue? Is this normal? Thank you kindly.

2. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Seems to depend on the lens - my Sigma 60mm and Oly 75mm are tight, but the plastic ones aren't.

3. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    I've seen other reports of tightness but my 4 LUMIX and 3 Olympus lenses are fine for me.
    The fit is tight but nothing I'd worry about.

4. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    It's a tight fit with all my panasonic lenses, has gotten less hard to fit after multiple mounts/unmounts, so might get better/easier to fit in the long run

5. specialagenttuna

specialagenttuna Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Could be weather sealing? My 12-40 is tight fit on my Em10 but my pana-leica 25 and Minolta adapter are not. And those aren't weather sealed as far as I know.

6. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Weird. My lenses are below in my signature and all feel tighter to install then on the GX7 or EM5.

7. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    I've used the tip someone posted months ago in this forum and it works wonderful. Just use the oil that we all have on our human noise by rubbing with your finger across the skin of your nose (not inside! :D) and then on the lens mount. This little trick makes a huge difference and the lenses will attach much easier. I would have mentioned the person who shared this tip, but I can't remember his name or find his post :/

• Like Like x 2
  8. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    All my metal mount lenses are tight but the plastic ones are not. Nothing was this tight on my old Canon but it doesn't seem problematically tight to me.

9. ryan6f7

ryan6f7 New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2014
    Cottage Grove Oregon
    Ryan Kimball
    I have had 2 E-M10's so far. The first one showed up and the mount was very very tight. I had read about this issue and figured it was normal but i really did not like changing lenses because of how much force i had to use. It was the same with all 5 lenses i own. After about 2 days of use i changed lenses and the camera stopped displaying appeture and the shutter would not fire with a lens attatched. I sent it back for a new body and the new one has no issues. The lenses go on and off much much easier and i havent had any problems.

10. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    The thread is EM 10 trouble, started May 14, 2014. Here is my post from it:

"This is a known problem with some EM10s, Some people have given up and returned the camera since they find that it does not improve over time. There are two threads on this on dpreview in the last couple of months.

I have found a solution that works for me and for some others who have tried it: nasal sebum, sometimes called "nose grease." A tiny bit on a finger, rubbed once around the flat flange of the camera. I have found that this tiny amount does not leak into my camera. (I was reluctant to try any other lubricant since it is so hard to make sure that the amount used is miniscule, and I felt there is danger of capillary movement of the lubricant into the camera body.)
    Notice that this method is at your own risk. If you do try it, why not post your experience here."

The rest of the thread describes people's experiences.

Good luck with your EM 10.

Crossen

• Like Like x 1
  11. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I have the same problem on my EM10. I have to make sure the I hear the "click" every time I attach a lens otherwise it will not work correctly. I did not have this issue with my EPMs.

12. stuffinabox

stuffinabox Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2014
    I had this when I first got my EM-10 as well, specifically with metal mounts as others have mentioned. First time mounting my 25mm it made an almost "crunch" sound as it clicked in. I had to apply a bit of pressure so naturally I thought I had broken something. It's fine now after multiple changes, still a little tight but doesn't cause any issues.

13. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    should i be overly concerned and request for a change? I bought it last week.

14. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Very tight on both of the EM10s I've used.

15. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    My brother has the same problem with his E-M10. I assume it is a manufacturing variance. Annoying, a little, but not a deal killer. That is a great camera. Would have gotten it instead of the E-M5 if it exited then.

16. chargedmr2

chargedmr2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    Try the solution provided in this thread and then decide what you think. Mine went from intolerable, to just perfect in a matter of minutes. Case closed. For me anyway.

17. Bluemacro

Bluemacro New to Mu-43

May 21, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    I've had my E-M10 and have been using it with my 12-40 Olympus and my two Panasonic lenses, 14mm 2.5 and 25mm 1.4.
    I am coming from a Panasonic GX1 and GF3.
    The Panasonic lenses were buttery smooth on the Panasonic bodies.
    But the Olympus E-M10 with the Panasonic lenses are quite tight.
    There is still a slight grinding feel when I unmount/remount all three lenses.
    The tolerances of the Olympus mount from the body have gotten slightly better over the past half year and I no longer feel like I might break my Panasonic lenses. But yes, both the Panasonic lenses still are a bit tight when removing from Olympus body.