1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM10 MK2 - Higher pitched rattle sound

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gadileth, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Gadileth

Gadileth New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2015
    So, my new OMD E-M10 MK2 arrived yesterday and I am testing it atm.

I know that the IBIS is loose when the camera is off and that you can hear it rattling when shaking the camera. A lot less when the camera is on.
    But i also hear a higher pitched rattling, sounding a little bit like a loose screw or some loose internals (and it is always present).

Can user of this camera confirm this or is this a hardware defect on my camera?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the IBIS makes a high-pitched hissing sound, but not a rattling sound.

Barry

3. Gadileth

Gadileth New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2015
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm not familiar with that sound.
    Which lens are you using, and do you have another lens to try?

Barry

5. Gadileth

Gadileth New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2015
    Tried the 45mm and the 9mm body cap. Same sound without any lens attached and when powered off.

6. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    It sounds like the rattling problem I had with my E-M10. Check the pop-up flash on your camera, the sound came from the mechanism that moves it up and down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gadileth

Gadileth New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2015
    You are right! That produces the sound. Now i only here the minimal ibis moving inside.

Is that normal or a defect? The sound does not bother me unless it should be different.

8. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Well, I made a thread about it back in August and apparently none else had the problem or was bothered by it :-D It annoyed me though, so I sent the camera to Olympus for repairs.

And it came back a few weeks later and nothing was fixed! Maybe they misunderstood the problem or the sound is normal, I don't know.

I "fixed" the problem myself by carefully placing thin pieces of paper between the rattling bars to stop them moving. I almost never use the pop-up flash, so this works for me. But I wouldn't recommend it if you use the flash often, as this will put stress on the mechanism and probably break it over time.

9. Gadileth

Gadileth New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2015
    Ok, thank you. I think i will just leave it as it is. I won't use the internal flash that often but the sound doesn't bother me when i know that it is just from the flash opening mechanism which has a little bit of room to rattle.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I wouldn't personally accept what seems to be a fault on a new camera
    Why not send it back for replacement ?
    Rob

11. Gadileth

Gadileth New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2015
    Sending back is not as easy as it sounds. The E-M10 MK2 is not really available here in Germany. I would not get a new one in the next 2-3 months because it is out of stock.
    Video is not a problem for me.

But I'm still debating if i should send it back.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm not sure how the Oly customer service is in Germany, but they are pretty decent when I have called them with questions. I would send them all the information you provided here and see what they say. You might even be able to get a loaner camera from them if the repair time takes a while. Never hurts to ask and better to get it fixed within warranty than out of warranty.