Omd em10 mk i just died...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pixelvandal, Apr 20, 2017.

1. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pav
    At least. I think so.
    Happily shooting for quite some time. Today, turn it on, buttons unresponsive, and auto switches off after 5 seconds or so. I think i remember reading about this issue.... Have tried keeping batteries out for a few days. Charged batteries. Cleaned contacts. But none of those work. Does anyone else remember hearing about this issue and if there was ever an easy fix? Long out of warranty now, and being first gen it's worth peanuts. If i can fix it, great, if not, it's not worth getting repaired so I'll just sell it on for parts i guess...

• Sad Sad x 2
  2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Sorry to hear about this. I had read about similar issues on E-M5s. Tried searching for them, but couldn't find anything. @Nathanael@Nathanael had taken apart his E-M10 after salt water exposure, so you might search for his threads on how to take the camera apart if you decided to do so.

FWIW, They are still worth a couple of hundred USD and Olympus USA has a flat repair fee for non-warranty repair which is less than that. I don't know how it is in Australia, but if it was me, I would at least contact Olympus to get a repair cost estimate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Agreed. Hardly worth "peanuts". If the original poster has no real need to upgrade to the Mk II and the repair pricing there is like it is for us, then it is certainly worth the repair price. Here in the USA the flat repair fee is just under $200US while a second hand E-M1 will run at least twice that, usually in the $500+ price point and that is for a camera whose history or condition you are not sure about.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    In Canada, Olympus has a trade in program that will give you $200 toward a new camera + lens purchase running right now. They may run similar promotions in Australia.

5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Have you tried different batteries? Turning it on without a card in it? With and without a lens mounted?

6. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pav
    i have sent olympus an email asking about the repair fee.

I have tried different batteries with no change, with and without lenses, if i turn it on without a sd card, it flashes no card, and has the same behavior as discussed, but then if i leave the switch in the ON position, and plug an sd card in, it switches on for another 5 seconds, then off. then if i eject an sd card, it switches on for 5 seconds, and then off. very odd behavior.

7. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    You could try a hard reset. Instructions from OM-D E-M5 hidden menus for hard reset and status & diagnostic codes | Olympus PEN-F,OM-D E-M1, E-M10, E-M5 and E-M5II user | Flickr.

Code:
    1. Power on with [menu] held down.
    2. When LCD lights, release [menu].
    3. [menu], [down] to spanner, [right], [down] to LCD brightness, [right] [info] [ok].

You're now at the banner which states the model name. From here you can go a number of ways -

4. [up] [down] [left] [right] [shutter] [up] for page 1 of status and then [right] or [down] or [left] for further status pages.

and/or

5. [up] [down] [left] [right] [shutter] [ok] for test parameter settings. Caution: I suspect that these settings could render your camera inoperable or unreliable.

and/or

6. Hold [menu]+[ok] together for a few seconds to get the hardware reset screen. [ok] to proceed. You'll know that the reset is successful if the time and date need setting when you next power the camera up.

Warning: Be careful with the hidden menu.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm out of ideas. That's too bad. Hopefully Olympus will have an answer.

9. I just got mine back with a similar issue last week.Precision Camera. Their base rate is around $145 for an E-M10, if that doesn't cover it (it did for mine which was acting similarly), they will send it back to you and you only pay $15 shipping.
    Took them 2 days in shop to do mine. They are the Olympus Authorized folks.

10. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Is it switching off or is it going off because the sensor curtain is freezing in the closed position? If the later, I had this happen twice with my EM10.

11. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pav
    hmmm, not sure. i will have to look at this, how did you get this fixed in yours?

unfortunately not a single button responds to any presses, I had hoped to do this right from the start, but i can not enter the menu :(

• Sad Sad x 1
  12. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I had to send mine in for repair.

13. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    em10's not working - has it had a hard knock at all?
    on the main circuit board there are half a dozen very thin ribbon cable connectors.
    the ribbon cable is held in contact with the circuit board by a very small plastic clip.
    this clip can be dislodged from its locking position, there is now nothing to hold the ribbon cable to the circuit board so it floats free - result strange behaviour, won't switch on properly etc depending on which connector has come undone.
    someone says there is a video showing how to get into an M10, can't be that hard.

14. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015

Sending it off has its merits but it's kinda fun to do it DIY. Pull it apart, see if any cables are loose. Mine had a short from some salt water, so I rinsed the circuits with some distilled water. I actually fixed two cameras this way. Same symptoms as you described. There's not any tamper seals that I noticed, you'd likely still be just fine sending it in afterwards if the DIY fix doesn't work.

One of my two EM10s just "relapsed" back to the stuck shutter symptoms (after several months of good service) after using it in some blowing rain on the coast in Norway. Haven't had a chance to pull it apart again yet, but I'm hoping I can get it back in service again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pav
    I just found this video on youtube haha. thank you. You also helped me out when i pulled apart my Em5, to replace the cracked evf glass, seemed a little daunting, but got it in the end :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pav
    pulled it apart as per this video, cleaned all the connectors, everything i could, put it back together, and still no luck, darn. haha worth a try, and a very easy to follow guide, thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Ahh bummer, sorry to hear it :/

18. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pav
    nah that's okay, no big loss, always fun trying to DIY regardless, cool to see how this was put together, and i didnt get electrocuted! haha

19. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    HA! yea I was a bit concerned about the whole flash capacitor thing, after reading a few websites warning about it.

20. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pav
    yeah, i once pulled apart an old sony a700 Dslr before i even knew about such things. i think i got pretty lucky! i wasn't so worried with the em5 due to the lack of flash :)