OMD EM1 with Leica M 35mm ASPH, blur images

olympusEM1

New to Mu-43
New to the forum, recently bought a Oly Em1 and generic (Leica M Lens to Micro 4/3 MFT) adapter. i am using leica m summicron 35mm ASPh lens which is top most in quality and sharpness, but performs very bad on the OMD1. olympus 12-50mm works and produces sharp images but not the adapted leica lenses. please help, not sure what setting should i use on the EM1.

P9170036.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
hard to say from that image... it looks like nothing is sharp

but a simple thing to check is that you set the IS (image stabilisation) to the focal length of the lens in this case 35mm

You have to do this with all non-native lenses.

K

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
New to the forum, recently bought a Oly Em1 and generic (Leica M Lens to Micro 4/3 MFT) adapter. i am using leica m summicron 35mm ASPh lens ...
My old rangefinder lenses work quite differently on different bodies, you may find your Leica 35mm is sharper on a NEX or Fuji-X ... although that might invoke the trauma of a forum name change.
I have lenses which are rubbish on my Fuji X-E1 but quite good on m4/3rds, and vice-versa.

olympusEM1

New to Mu-43
thanks Kevinparis, MAburey!!

i have 2 more images below taken with canon fd 85mmL and they are much better then the leica sum micron 35, but not satisfactory enough yet.
also i am at firmware 1.0, let me try updating the firmware as well

P9180040.jpg
@ f1.2
P9180041.jpg
@f4, the IS is updated to 200mm(double of 85mm)

olympusEM1

New to Mu-43
ha ha, i am feeling the pain. the summicron is super sharp on the leica-m body but it is super shock on the EM1body.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
I can speak to the issues of the Canon 85mm f/1.2L. This lens was designed with an optimal focusing distance about right for a head and shoulders to half-body portrait for regular 135mm format. That's the focusing range where it's sharpest. At farther distances (and since its a 170mm-e telephoto on μ43 it almost always is farther distances), the resolution just isn't as good as it could be. And that's precisely the case with your image at f/1.2.

The second image, I would expect the problem is tied to the fact that you've entered 200 as the focal length for IS, you'll want to enter the actual focal length of 85mm. The camera thinks you're using a real 200mm lens (400mm equivalent).

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
With the update of Firmware to version 1.4 you will get 'ANTISHOCK'. Be sure to enable this.
The latest Firmware is 2.0 which has just been released.

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Tell us the aperture and shutter speed used for your 35mm samples. Are you sure you had focus?

In the 35 mm focal length, I own an Zuiko OM, a Focal in FD, and a Vivitar in OM. I know I can focus, and all three of these old lenses are pretty mediocre away from the center compared to my Digital Zuiko 35mm, which is 4/3 mount. However, I would expect better from a Leica.

olympusEM1

New to Mu-43
i think i know what the issue is. Em1 does not recognizes the rangefinder scale on the camera. if i focus using the viewfinder i can get sharp image(but not to leica standard) but when i use the distance scale on the camera the images are not sharp.

olympus E-M1 with sum micron 35mm @f2 much sharper
P9190039.jpg

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
i think i know what the issue is. Em1 does not recognizes the rangefinder scale on the camera. if i focus using the viewfinder i can get sharp image(but not to leica standard) but when i use the distance scale on the camera the images are not sharp.

If by scale you mean the DOF scale printed on the lens barrel, then its highly dependent on the tolerances of the camera mount, adapter, and lens mount. The tolerances are not so important once the focusing is determined by examining the image through the lens rather than through the positioning of the focusing helicoid. Even PDAF DSLRs sometimes need to be "adjusted" at times. CDAF cameras which rely on contrast information through the lens is in more tolerant due to this and is often seen as an advantage. By looking through the viewfinder to focus, you are essentially doing the same thing as CDAF systems with your eye.... you are determining focus through information (in part contrast of sharp edges) through the lens using your eyes.

The rangefinders cameras are manufactured to very high tolerances (which contributes to cost) in order to obtain focus accurately. This is due to the fact that focus is obtained via position of the focus helicoid. If you look on Leica rangefinders, you will see a spring loaded arm with a roller. That mechanism engages M-mount lenses to relay helicoid position to the rangefinder mechanism which in turns determines whether or not the focus patch is lined up. Some more critical photographers will go as far as send a camera + lens into the manufacturer to have them "married" ie.... adjust the rangefinder exactly to the lens.

Whenever I use my rangefinder lenses adapted to any other system (MFT and A7), I always rely focusing by looking through the lens (again.. different experience from shooting a rangefinder). Even focusing out to infinity, I will still rely on looking inside the viewfinder..... many adapters will allow the lens to focus past or before infinity.

olympusEM1

New to Mu-43
If by scale you mean the DOF scale printed on the lens barrel, then its highly dependent on the tolerances of the camera mount, adapter, and lens mount. The tolerances are not so important once the focusing is determined by examining the image through the lens rather than through the positioning of the focusing helicoid. Even PDAF DSLRs sometimes need to be "adjusted" at times. CDAF cameras which rely on contrast information through the lens is in more tolerant due to this and is often seen as an advantage. By looking through the viewfinder to focus, you are essentially doing the same thing as CDAF systems with your eye.... you are determining focus through information (in part contrast of sharp edges) through the lens using your eyes.

The rangefinders cameras are manufactured to very high tolerances (which contributes to cost) in order to obtain focus accurately. This is due to the fact that focus is obtained via position of the focus helicoid. If you look on Leica rangefinders, you will see a spring loaded arm with a roller. That mechanism engages M-mount lenses to relay helicoid position to the rangefinder mechanism which in turns determines whether or not the focus patch is lined up. Some more critical photographers will go as far as send a camera + lens into the manufacturer to have them "married" ie.... adjust the rangefinder exactly to the lens.

Whenever I use my rangefinder lenses adapted to any other system (MFT and A7), I always rely focusing by looking through the lens (again.. different experience from shooting a rangefinder). Even focusing out to infinity, I will still rely on looking inside the viewfinder..... many adapters will allow the lens to focus past or before infinity.

thank for the nice explanation!! i guess i can nail the focus correctly now. here is a one with canon FD 85mmL without any processing

P9220139.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom