OMD EM1 vs EM5 II Battery Latch

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    HI all. Bit of a strange question, but on my OMD EM1, the battery is held in place by a small reddish colour plastic tab that's spring loaded, and when pulled in releases the battery.

On my EM5 II, the tab is just a piece of metal with no plastic, and doesn't always release the battery. Sometimes I have to really pull it a few times for the spring at the bottom of the camera casing to pop the battery up enough to grab it, but at other times, the battery just sits there and doesn't move ?

Are all OMD EM5 II's this way with just a metal instead of plastic tab, and anyone else had some difficulties pulling the battery out (oh, and I am using genuine Olympus batteries). Thanks.
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    While I don't own an E-M5 II however I just checked all of the other Olympus cameras I have on hand atm and can confirm all of them (even grips and semi disposable point and shoot cameras) have a red piece of plastic screwed onto a shim of metal as the battery catch.
    (E-M1, E-5, FE-20, FE-4000, and various battery grips).
  3. Sootchucker

Aug 9, 2012
    Hmm, so mine might be missing a piece ? Thanks, anyone else please ?
  4. carbonbianchi

carbonbianchi New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2014
    Nope my 5ii battery retainer is also just a thin piece of metal with no colored plastic....
  5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The EPM1 and EPL5 use the all metal tab. The EM5 and EPL1 use a plastic tab.
  6. Sootchucker

Aug 9, 2012
    Ahh right, so are we saying the the MK II only has the metal tab and mine is exactly how they ship ?
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If the battery doesn't move once the retainer is released then I'm guessing it's because the battery is too tight a fit to the compartment. I've had this with after-market batteries (especially right after charging), but not the OEM ones .
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Mine looks that way too.
  9. jmoore5196

jmoore5196 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    Well, my E-M5 ii has a plain metal tab. But there's a pretty positive release force when I apply pressure with a fingernail ... no retaining issue at all.
  10. Effuse

Effuse Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2014
    BC, Canada
    My E-M10 just has the little metal tab, no plastic.