1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM1 update now here

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by csemms, Nov 28, 2013.

1. csemms

csemms New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2011
    Arlesey Bedfordshire UK
    Firmware update now available

• Like Like x 1
  2. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I think I'll wait awhile, I heard it is pretty slow right now (1+ hour update).

3. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I tried updating my E-M5 to an E-M1 but it didn't work. I still have an E-M5!

• Like Like x 1
  4. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Updating now...

5. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Did the update last night. Hoping all goes well today. I'll have plenty of subjects to try out the improved focusing on.

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Updated the EM-1 firmware and with the 12-60mm AF-S focus is quite a bit better than before! Although the system is still significantly challenged by anything that is only horizontal elements.
    - In low light situations focus is quicker than before. By low light I'm talking EV values of 2-4. In many circumstances focus was near instantaneous.
    - Wide angle views work better than towards 60mm in all lighting situations.
    - Large focus targets works better in challenging situations, small focus targets are useful, just less so when faced with challenges focus situations
    - C-AF +TR is viable with the 12-60 lens. However it will take some time to become effective by learning how the camera focuses and the limits of tracking.

The photo where the wrenches are a lot more horizontal was significantly challenging for the EM-1 & 12-60mm combination to focus on. Often not even being able to obtain focus lock.
    temp_PB280216.

The photo with the wrenches at a steep angle produced near instantaneous focus.
    temp_PB280215. ]

7. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    quick and dirty testing with the 35-100/2 would seem to deliver the same indications as this.

what was most surprising was the performance of the 9 point (area) where the strongest target area was indicated and selected quickly in S-AF in the way it used to be with the E's - although in this case there's no apparent advantage to selecting the centre 9 (which is logical given their comparative nature ie there is no evidence that they are enhanced to mirror the double crosses),

SP seems improved, but it's hard to be objective indoors in low light - it's never been a strong point with this lens (or most of the others).

there remain clear differences between the 43 and native lenses in performance over a range of subjects - and the native lenses don't always do better!

can't comment on C-AF

overall this is a disaster for me - I was almost looking forward to downsizing from the 35-100!!! :dash2:

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Update took less than 5 minutes here.

9. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have updated, and it was a reasonably swift and trouble free process. The autofocus improvements I assumed would be with 4/3rds lenses, as it is hard to imagine how the autofocus could be any faster with the 12-40mm, so I tried it with my 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 (non-SWD), the only 4/3rds lens that I have, indoors in low light. It was hardly a scientific comparison, but it might just have been a smidgen faster and surer, but it was hard to tell, really. It seemed to focus reasonably well most of the time, albeit with the characteristic whizzing of motor and slow final adjustments common with this lens and camera combination. Even before, on average, it would focus faster than the 60mm f/2.8 macro, but that was always a slow lens to focus in many situations.

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    And here..!

11. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    The update took me about 4 minutes. I used the Olympus Updater software to do it. I was surprised nothing showed up on the LCD so it worried me, but on the computer screen it just said update was in progress and to not shut the power on the camera off. So I had patience and waited. Eventually an OK came onto the LCD, but interestingly enough on the computer screen it acted as if it was starting the process and then showed an error message saying the camera was not found. I ignored that, shut the camera off and restarted and it indicated all was fine, 1.1 was installed and working so it's just fine. The only thing I can say I am noting is in light I am very familiar with, in a fairly dim room with not much light on the subject (a test I've already run several times before with this combo of 12-40 and EM1) the focus now has NO hesitation or single pump prior to locking focus. Now it just give completely INSTANT confirmation no waiting whatsoever. So indeed there must be some change. Before it would typically have one very fast pump to snap into focus lock. Now there is NO waiting. Also I noted shooting into my near completely dark hallway from my lit room, using the small focus spot in the center, I was able to get an immediate focus lock on a beige colored power outlet on the taupe colored wall. And let me tell you there isn't much if any light to focus on this subject. However it didn't even hesitate one bit, and no pumping to lock. I'm impressed......best of all upon close examination at 10 and 14x view the outlet is even in correct focus.....I'm stoked!

12. gs3xr_fun

gs3xr_fun Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    juro
    After the update, when I use magnification with focusing manually, the IBIS don't work anymore unless I have the Half Way Rls With IS is on.

13. Kiwimac

Kiwimac New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    All I need now is Olympus to actually supply cameras to New Zealand so I can have the 2 I ordered!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

14. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    Sounds like you're overdue to visit Oz.

15. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Just completed update, 5 mins and no problems

16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I had a lock-up after installing 1.1.

What were the camera settings and what I did spacifically, I'm ashamed to say I can't recall,

I released the battery....Hunky-dory.

17. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    Can you check for the "problem" reported for hot pixel with exposure more than 60s, did they fix it?

18. Kiwimac

Kiwimac New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    That's why we have none. The 19th century business practices here mean we have wait for whatever Oz sends us instead of a system that moved product according to demand.

In the USA there are dealers with EM-1s as shelf stock sitting there and yet we can't get more than a handful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Somebody in NZ obviously has one, there's trader selling a 35-100 f/2 SWD on Trademe who has apparently used it on their new E-M1...

20. Kiwimac

Kiwimac New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    Yes there are a very few. The first shipment contained just 4 cameras…!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk