Omd em1 questions....?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Triggertrevor, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi all I've been asking a few questions over the last week or so in regards to upgrading my camera body from the G5 to a more suitable body for shoots sports.
    Now I know quite a few people have advised me that this s the area were m43 falls down a little.

I have beennthinkingbof converting to a dslr but to be honest I would rather stay with you guys/gals with the m43 gear.

Now my questions are

1. Does the em1 support AF Phase detection on both micro four thirds and four thirds lenes and how much of a difference would that make over contrast detection.

2. Am I right in saying that the 10 fps only supports AF on the first frame Not the whole 10 frames

3. Is the em1 worth the extra bucks over the GH3.

Its so confusing trying to make a decision on a new body.

Cheers kev

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    A read through the dpreview review and first look is what you need.

The EM1 will use CAF for native lenses and PDAF for adapted lenses. If the CAF can't get focus on native lenses the PDAF will assist. It looks like the CAF has been improved so that tracking is much improved.

At 10fps it's first frame only. At lower speeds it'll focus between frames.

Never used a GH3 but the improvement over the EM5 is noticable.

The EM1 looks like the best tracking m43 camera so far.

Gordon

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Actually, the E-M1 will use PDAF with 43 lenses only (both single and continuous focus). For m43 lenses it will use CDAF only for single shot but with continuous focus will use a mix of CDAF and PDAF (they don't describe how the mix is done, I assume this part of their secret sauce). PDAF is really only needed for continuous focusing for tracking and while it isn't as good as the best DSLRs, it's clearly much better than any m43 camera yet and probably better than any mirror less camera except maybe the Nikon 1. I haven't seen anyone do a comparison of that yet.

4. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Your right about the 10fps only using af for the first but with full tracking af it's 6.5fps and I haven't used it yet actually. The gh3 while a nice body is not really in the same league as far a stills go. I'm working on a comparison of the two but I dunno when I'll finish. If you are more into stills then go E -M1 if you want to do more video with tripods and rigs then go for the GH3.