OMD EM1 not level

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by StephenC, Jun 29, 2016.

1. StephenC

StephenC New to Mu-43

Mar 29, 2016
    I recently bought a new EM1 body as back up for a trip that I am taking in September (too soon unfortunately for the MkII). Even when the level gauge in the EVF shows the camera as level it is still noticeably not so, so my horizons are even worse than usual. Is this something I can fix for myself through the menus, or does it have to go back to Olympus?

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You can reset in the menus. It's pretty straightforward (Menu K, Level Adjust). Make sure that you reset to truly level both horizontally and vertically.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    How do you turn on the level gauge on the em1?

4. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Assuming it's the same as the E-M5, just cycle through the different display modes with the "Info" button until you see the gauges.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. StephenC

StephenC New to Mu-43

Mar 29, 2016
    many thanks, it worked, needless to say

• Like Like x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    That is assuming that the level option is not disabled in the menus as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Is it normal that when I reset the level, it shows 3 bars to the right when the camera is on a perfectly leveled surface? I can properly adjust the level but am wondering why the factory setting is so off...

8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You are not following the correct procedure.
    You must put the camera on the flat level surface and reset it.
    Then without moving it look at the indicator, it will show the camera is level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Hum, when I use "reset" on a flat level, I end up with 2 bars to the left of the middle. When I use "adjust", both are of course green. But resetting again shows 2 bars to the left which make me think the factory default is off. I know that the surface is level because I can rotate the camera 360 degrees when it is properly adjusted without the level changing.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it is definitely on a level surface, then do the adjustment to correct it (in Menu *K). That is what it is there for.

Of course, the camera might be level but when using the camera, a press on the shutter button can also tilt the camera during exposure too. Check that with IS ON (IS1 or Auto) & OFF.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  11. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I wonder if you can get away with mounting it onto a tripod with bubble levels, making sure that's centered, and then reset/adjust in that way? (since a flat surface may not be as level as you think).

12. Ross the fiddler

The way I understand it is that resetting it is just returning it to default settings while adjusting it to '0' on a level surface will make it display level at the new level.
    See page 101 in the (Version 4.0) manual.

As long as it can be truly confirmed it is level. I wouldn't be so trusting of a basic bubble level though.
    Doing it on a flat bench that has been checked by a builders level in both directions (fore, aft & side to side) & turning the level around (180 degrees) to double check the accuracy of the spirit level would be my way of doing it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  13. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You still seem to be doing the wrong procedure.
    When I wrote that you put it on a level surface and reset it what I should have said to be clear was you put it on the level surface and go to the K menu and reset the level there.

If you do that then it will report the camera is now level. When you pick it up and use it, it will show it is level when it has the same attitude as the level surface you put it on when you set the level in the menu.

14. Ross the fiddler

And I don't think the Manual says that. I think the default (when reset) is a fixed setting & if the default is out then adjust it the two bars (in Menu *K) so that it does show level when it is truly level.

15. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I'm agreeing with you. I used the word reset when I meant use the K menu to recalibrate it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I suppose whatever produces the levels that are displayed, just might be out of alignment inside the body, so setting the levels back to their 'default' position, will still mean it's out of alignment, which could be what StephenC is encountering.
    If that is the case, You could either as a temporary 'fix' align the levels up via the camera's menus, or (If if you live in Britain) take it back to whoever you bought it off and demand a replacement, as the product is 'not fit for purpose.'.

17. Ross the fiddler

My feeling, if the adjustment is there, then what else is it there for except to adjust the accuracy of it, just like the AF Fine Adjust (particularly for 4/3's DSLR PD-AF lenses) is used. So I suggest there is no reason for angst, just do the correction adjustment & use it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Level sensors require occasional calibration. So you have to take a minute to use the menu to calibrate it. How does that possibly make the camera not fit for purpose?

19. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    Growltiger, you have missed my point ... IF whatever generates the 'levels' read-outs was misaligned during the calibrating of the body whilst on the production line, so that it's factory-set default 'level' positions ARE incorrect, whenever a user needs to do a full firmware camera reset, I'm pretty sure that the user, will then have to recalibrate the levels yet again. Things do slip through a production line's QC systems due to Mr Sod and Mr Murphy!

20. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You are missing the explanation.
    When the cameras are built the orientation sensor is calibrated.
    Orientation sensors are not permanently accurate without calibration - their calibration drifts, little by little.
    Olympus know this and allow you to recalibrate yourself, as often as you like.
    There is nothing wrong with the camera. It was built correctly.
    You might like this article on the subject, although it is not about Olympus cameras:
    http://www.cv-foundation.org/openac...wards_Auto-calibration_of_2013_CVPR_paper.pdf