1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD EM1 - New TruePIC VII Sensor - 3 things this sensor does

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RamblinR, Oct 22, 2013.

1. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Went to a viewing of the OMD EM1 tonight. The rep explained what the new sensor can do.

1. Sharpening on selected focal plane only.
    What this means is if you were to shoot a portrait and the background is to be out of focus the sensor reads this information from the settings being used and will only sharpen the image on the sensor plane of focus. It does not sharpen the whole image. This creates a smoother out of focus area (no artefacts) - this setting emulates a more film look image.
    2. Automatic correction of CA
    This is for olympus lenses only. Information for each lens is programmed into the camera.
    3. Diffraction Correction
    This new sensor corrects for diffraction so that you can now use your lens at f22 and the camera will correct for diffraction on the focused focal plane.

HOWEVER ---- To be able to access all those lovely new features you must load your images into the Olympus software.

Asked about being able to get 1/8000 and ISO 100 with the OMD EM5 in a new firmware upgrade (hoping they might offer one)
    He advised that ISO 100 may be possible but that 1/8000 is not as it is a different shutter mechanism (shattered my hopes).

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Some very handy improvements. :43: just keeps getting better. :thumbup:

3. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Since I don't own any legacy four thirds lenses nor plan on adding their software to my workflow, and own two EM5s, I am more interested in the new zoom lenses arriving than in the EM-1 body. It's a nice upgrade but wouldn't impact my particular shooting style as much as the faster weather sealed zooms might. I still manually focus, shoot without ibis often. I use a GX-1 often so the GX-7 or ep-5 interest me about as much since size and weight are still a primary factor in my outback landscape interest. I just hope tons of people buy the em1 and Olympus continues toward profitability in the camera dept.

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I really hope they put ISO 100 in the E-M5.

5. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Do you know if there a download of the software available from Olympus?

6. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Those features should be available with the SOOC JPEGS too. The new engine is in the camera.

7. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Any hope of Adobe supporting all these?

8. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    It makes shooting jpeg more compelling. This is not a bad thing. With the in camera functions for me this is a viable workflow. And the files are smaller! Much smaller.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's just Olympus Viewer 3 isn't it? If you use that to process ORF files from an E-M1 you should get all the TruePIC VII features.

10. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Maybe I'm missing something here but shooting raw already allows for selective sharpening in pretty much any pp software. Can only assume this is a new "feature" for jpegs.

@E-M5 firmware: I'd be very disappointed if Oly abandons its signature cam of this generation. Fuji released a major X100 update only last week and the camera is what 2 years old? I honestly expect at least one firmware update for the E-M5 that addresses some issues before they move on, like preview in EVF, ISO 100, SCP on LCD with active EVF and disabled approximation sensor, more different display options instead of the restrictive either/or choices to name but a few pressing issues.

11. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I'd like to see focus peaking as well. To be honest if they had ISO 100 and focus peaking I might not have upgraded.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'd like a persistent small AF box!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

• Like Like x 2
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hmm, I'm wondering how much of this is just marketing speak...

1) Sharpening on selected focal plane only. How does the camera know from 'the settings' where the focal plane is? Seems to me that aside from edge contrast there is nothing in the settings that could possibly tell the camera (or any PP software for that matter) where to find it. I can see that it could know the focal distance (with a native AF lens), but it would have no idea how far anything in the image actually is. As another poster above noted, selective sharpening is available on many PP packages, but even then, it needs a human to select the area.

2) CA correction - I can see that this is entirely achievable, but of course it's been in Panasonic cameras for a while and it's a one-click operation in LR.

3) Diffraction correction - I'm blowing a big rhubarb at this. If the laws of physics are not being distorted by that fancy new processor, then the image in the sensor WILL BE BLURRED beyond the aperture diffraction limit. That's how light works. Unless the camera somehow knows what should be sharpened and what not, I can't see how it could possibly do this.

To me, it all sounds like sales patter. Reminds me of when a guy in an electrical store was trying to sell me a HDMI cable costing 10x (no exaggeration) more than a cheaper one because the colours and contrast on the TV would be better. When I asked how this could be so since the signal is digital, he have me some waffle about oxygen content in the copper and how the electrons would bounce off the oxygen bubbles in the cheaper cable!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oly are infamous for not putting new firmware features into older cameras. I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but history is on my side alas!

15. It sounds similar to what Fujifilm is currently calling LMO (Lens Modulation Optimiser)

http://fujifilm-x.com/development_story/en/processor/

Don't know much about it's effectiveness to be honest.

I think you just validated Olympus' decision to NOT release an E-M5 firmware update :smile:

16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hate the fact that the C/A correction only ever works for same brand lenses/bodies. I mean, what's the point of having a standard if you don't standardise something like that? I'm an Olympus user but actually prefer many of the Panasonic lenses...

17. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland

My thoughts exactly:
    "1) Sharpening on selected focal plane only."
    They certainly can't do that without knowing the depth-value/distance of each image point/pixel from the camera.
    What they CAN do is selective sharpening based on an edge detection algorithm.

"3) Diffraction correction"
    well this is just driving the strength of overall sharpening based on the aperture value. It won't recover what's been blurred away, but there will be a higher perceived sharpness to the image.

I'm not saying that these new features aren't useful to some degree.
    Just the marketing lingo is going a bit far (as it usually does :)

18. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Interesting stuff, but must be some sort of software doing this and only in jpeg.

I'd like to see some examples of this.

19. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, it seems there might be a way... There is a digital image processing technique called deconvolution that can recover blurring in images. Seems it's a bit CPU intensive to be effective in the sort of chips that run cameras at the moment though and it requires a pretty accurate view of a complex mathematical model of the lens's blurring called the Point Spread Function (PSF). Apparently, one of the leaders in the field is ... Olympus - with their medical equipment : http://www.olympusmicro.com/primer/digitalimaging/deconvolution/deconintro.html

Of course, this doesn't mean this the E-M1 uses any of this (or is effective at it), but it does point to where things are heading.

20. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK