1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

omd em1 mark ii with battery grip - need good L bracket

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Michael Schneider, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Michael Schneider

Michael Schneider Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2017
    I was hoping for a Really Right stuff bracket. However, they seem to be only making one for the no-battery-grip option.

Does anyone make a good L bracket for a omd em1 mark ii with battery grip?

Thanks
    Michael

2. MarkNOTL

MarkNOTL New to Mu-43

Mar 28, 2016
    Mark
    Try Really Right Stuff. I've used them on my Nikon's, and it was the first accessory I purchased for my EM1m1. The L piece is removable, which for me is a really nice touch. I always leave the base plate on, and add the L when wanted.

3. Michael Schneider

Sep 28, 2017
    Thanks, I like really right stuff. I tried them first, but the they don't make an L-bracket for the olympus omd em1 mark ii with a battery grip :-(

4. Michael Schneider

Sep 28, 2017
    Well, I could find no L bracket that worked with battery grip.

I stepped back and looked at my problem.

1) I use the battery grip because I have large hands, and the omd em1 mark ii is a bit small.
    2) I added battery grip, and it fits my hand
    3) I took a good look at the really right stiff bracket and noticed it increased the camera body size. I was not sure if it would be sufficient to fit in my hands.

I ordered the L bracket to test it.

It is perfect!!!!

1) The camera fits my hands, but is much smaller than camera + grip (a reall win)
    2) I really like the QD fasteners for a camera strap. I ordered a magpul single point QD strap and it just what I needed. Quick release, and very strong. Put on tripod, push button and and strap releases.

5. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2018
    I have the RRS L-bracket as well and bought the Magpul strap at a local gun store as it is a popular strap setup (The RRS online price was actually cheaper than the gun shop too!). Only thing I added was a fleece tube over it as the nylon strap is sort of hard on my neck. I almost busted the camera's LCD screen with one of their steel connectors so I found some vinyl caps at the hardware store to put into the holes in the steel strap connectors to help protect it from hitting the LCD (in theory.). The thing is built as though it could tow a trailer. I'd rather the strap pull on the RRS bracket than pulling on the tripod socket as with the BlackRapid setup after seeing that guy's Nikon D800 in dpreview where it pulled the body's metal casing apart and Nikon said it was "Beyond economical repair."

I also added the RRS Camdapter leather hand strap to the setup but I'm not too crazy about the leather portion of it as the shutter button is hard to get to with the way it is designed. I have to leave it a lot looser for the shutter button reach than the one on my Nikon which fits perfect.

6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    For my first two Oly cameras, I had bought the battery grip. It wasn’t just the handling, but also the extra battery, customizable buttons, and the ability to plug into an A/C outlet.

But I also bought RRS L-Brackets, which I use RRS clamps to attach to various Black Rapid straps or to my tripods, and the combo was so perfect I never used the battery grips again. So, for my last camera, I skipped the grip altogether. I have an old blog post on it, if you are interested.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.