1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD-EM1 malfunction - not happy :-(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeremyrh, Feb 1, 2016.

1. jeremyrh

jeremyrh New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2014
    I was shooting a dance show yesterday with my EM1 with the battery grip attached. The battery in the grip was quite depleted, but the one in the camera was fresh. I'm not sure if this is relevant but after a while the PBH battery warning light was flashing orange. I assumed it would cut out at some time and switch to the camera battery. Maybe this is not relevant anyway to what happened next ...

I found I could no longer release the shutter, and the "writing to card" warning was flashing permanently. Even after I turned off the camera it was still flashing (I mean I was unable to turn off) and I had to remove the camera battery to restart the camera.

When I got home I found that I'd lost the last 15 min of shots, even from a time the camera seemed to be working OK.

Does any of this ring any bells? Maybe it was just "one of those things" but my confidence in using the camera for mission-critical work is now shaken!!

2. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I experienced something similar in January.
    Was out shooting, hld7 battery running low.
    Continued to take pictures, and when the battery was depleted (while taking pictures), the "save image icon" started blinking.
    Nothing happened (it froze) so had to turn camera off/on.
    Uncertain if I lost any pictures.

Worked properly after restart, but if I remember correctly it continued to blink "saving image" some seconds.

3. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    When the low fuel light comes on in my vehicle I __________________ (you fill in the blanks).

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Any time I get close to things like this, I ensure I've turned off the camera at least once and that everything is there. Best not to wait and see. You can also change the battery warning time on the camera. So it can tell you sooner or later. Regardless, when its time to switch, I change immediately. Weird that it didn't automatically switch to your in-body battery.

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I run the grip battery down all the time and mine always switches to the body battery without any problem. My problem is I don't monitor the camera battery and get stuck with two dead batteries every once in awhile. I really wish Olympus batteries gave a better indication of battery level like my Canon did. I can deal with fewer shots then I got my 7D per battery, I just wish you could always have battery level indicated in the display and that it was more accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Was it a genuine Olympus battery? I have stopped using the others, I found they die suddenly.
    Also, change the battery warning level from 0 to +2:
    - K Utility
    -- Battery Warning Level: change from 0 to +2

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Mine are original, yet it happened to me. Ref earlier post.