1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OMD EM1 M2 or G9...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Qwntm, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Qwntm

Qwntm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2017
    Edward
    Lol. I will be buying one of these flagships in a few months. I'm inclined to go with the Oly just because that's what I already got, but it means a new battery system anyway, so the G9 is in the running as well. Doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. (Prolly can't go wrong either way, wish David Thorpe would do one of his comparison vids! :)  ) Thoughts?

2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, my take from the DPR review is that each has its strengths and weaknesses compared to the other and it could really come down to one camera having a feature you like that the other doesn't. For example, the Oly has a more flexible live view mode. If that is something you value, then it would be the Oly. The G9 appears to have slightly better CAF tracking, if that is more important to you. The G9 is slightly larger. Really, it just depends on what is most important to you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, How do the viewfinders compare?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I’m considering the same even though I don’t like a special feature on both of them.
    Reason for buying?
    Probably going back to Africa again for safari this year.
    Reason to buy G9:
    1: I’ve Got pana100-400 aka Dual IS.
    2: High capture FPS mode MIGHT work with more lenses then Olympus “pro capture”.*

*Disclaimer: I tried to find out during launch of G9 in my country.
    They said that they would try to figure out then replying to me.

Reason to buy em-1.11:
    1: I know the menus (kind of).
    2: pro capture works with my 40-150 at least (?) and 12-40 (?).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Qwntm

Qwntm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2017
    Edward
    Good points. CAF isn't important to me at all, size and weight is. It's one of the main reasons I got into m43 in the first place. Though like you say the G9 is slightly larger, might not be a big deal.

The G9 viewfinder has me intrigued as well. It's supposed to be bigger, but someone commented it's like looking at a standard viewfinder with a magnifier in front of it, and that might not be better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    You absolutely HAVE to handle both camera's before making any decision. The ergo's are arguably the most dissimilar aspect of the two camera's, because on features they're very hard to split. They do not feel the same in the hand. Make sure you know which one you prefer. Or at least, make sure one isnt uncomfortable or unworkable for you. They're both great camera's, just dont buy one you arent going to use or be willing to take with you.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Before anybody can make any recommendations one way or another, you really do need to tell us how you intend to use the camera, what you like to shoot, things that don't matter to you, etc.

Without knowing any of that, any "advice" is pretty much worthless.

I see that you also have an E-M5 II, a camera that I own (in addition to an E-M1 II). Why are you looking to upgrade? Are there areas your current cameras can't perform, and its caused you to miss shots/opportunities? Or is it simply GAS since you have some money to burn?

I can tell you that despite what people post here about "when's the E-M5 III gonna come out?" and "The E-M5 II is in desperate need of an update", I just took my E-M5 II with me to shoot a motorsport race that ran throughout the night, and came away with some excellent pictures (the thread was featured, you should see it on the home page). It's still an incredibly capable camera, despite it being 3 years old and "only" having a 16MP sensor.

But that's why it's important to let us know where your current cameras aren't cutting it, and where you're looking for improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The number one reason to go from an em5.2 to an em1 body is the pdaf for C-AF and better performance of legacy 4/3 lenses. If that is not something you need, you'll not really see that much difference between the EM5.2 and anything else.

If size is truly a factor, the em 5.2 is smaller than the em1. So I'm confused a bit on why the push to go and upgrade.

Even with all that being said, the EM1 cameras are fantastic. I'm sure you'd be happy with the performance from either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DennyVanNostrand

DennyVanNostrand Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2018
    I bought the EM1 Mkii a month or so ago. I went with the Oly because it's been out for a while(raw processing), image quality(maybe a toss up), the high res mode works with strobes, and the fantastic IBIS.
    I didn't really know what lens to get so I went with the 12-40 F2.8 Pro. It's a beautiful lens.

Super fun camera.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Keep in mind that you will loose the small AF box if you switch to the E-m1ii. Assuming that you use that today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. SLOtographer

SLOtographer Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2013
    California
    Stan
    I went with EM1.2, before G9 was announced. It’s a tough call and at the same time both are great choices. Ideally you could rent or test them. Individual ergo preferences or a specific feature will sway you to the right one for you.

I have owned Oly, Panny, Canon,.. and in the end people can’t tell what camera I used.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    Love my G9. Before going this route I borrowed EM1.2 and GH5 for a weekend of comparison and found I liked the GH5 more. At that point the G9 was announced and I knew that was the camera for me. Sold all my Canon and jumped fully into M43. Still hae an EM1.1 as a second body, but leaning to getting rid of it for panasonic.

For me it comes down to 2 things:
    1. The dial around the shutter drives me nuts. I do some long shoots with the same lighting occationally and that dial is always being bumped and settings adjusted.
    2. menus & button locations - I just found them easier to use and my overall enjoyment of the system fell to Panasonic.
    That being said, they are both amazing cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JanW

JanW Mu-43 Regular

In all these comparisons and discussions I never see anyone mention the readout speed of the sensor, I only see people comparing burst rates.
    If I'm right the electronic shutter of the E-M1 II performs incredibly well and rolling shutter effect is reduced to a minimum. I have seen G9 examples where rolling shutter effect is very visible.
    Has anyone seen a comparison of rolling shutter effect between these camera's?
    It would make the high speed burst rate of the Olympus much more usable than that of the Pany.
    No experience myself with flagship camera's, happy user of an e-m10.
    But always interested in the technology that will become available in entry level camera's in a few years time :biggrin:

• Useful Useful x 2
  16. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    When I tested both GH5 and EM1.2, I had rolling shutter on both at a hockey game while panning. That being said, I usually shoot mechanical shutter for sports anyhow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    I posted relevant information in the post #30 of this thread:
    G9 with birds

• Like Like x 2
  18. x_holger

x_holger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Berlin, Germany
    For my taste the G9 is too big, the E-M1.2 is considerably smaller and lighter, not just a bit ....

The small focus field might be added by Olympus via firmware update, may be ....

Okay, it's a matter of handling and preferences mostly ... both cameras are very good and cost the same.

Personally, I don't like the look of the G9 ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    I agree with you. The EM1.2 is a better looking camera. However, the size for me is minor and the G9 handles better for me. Coming from Canon my whole kit is still half the weight and 2/3 the size. Loving it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Qwntm

Qwntm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2017
    Edward
    Oh, that's no fun at all! My current cameras are just fine and I don't really need anything else, but that makes me very sad...

Seriously, though, what I really need is a 20MP, weather sealed Pen F. (I prefer the rangefinder layout)

I shoot landscapes and weddings, and the weddings I can do with 2 - EM10 M2's. The landscapes I use the EM5 M2 and it's great, esp. the high rez. I really just want the 20mp sensor, high rez, and weather sealing in as small a camera as I can get... I guess I need to wait and see. Thanks a lot!!! :(  No fun at all!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.