OMD EM1 long exposures, disappointed from my photos !!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PantelisMor, Apr 10, 2016.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello guys,

I was on vacation. I had the opportunity to go in a magnificent place in Greece (Edessa) with waterfalls. It was a good opportunity to try my OMD EM1 for long exposures.
    I used Oly 12-40 2,8, Tripod and Haida ND 10 stop filter.

I disappointed from results. I attach some photos
    P4090472.JPG
    P4090534.JPG
    P4090554.JPG

P4090461.JPG
    P4090466.JPG

What am i doing Wrong ??

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I've heard that there's the flaw in the em1, sort of a light leak may become visible with long exposures, as well as some noise issues but I'm not sure if this is it as I don't have an em1 to verify, it could be though.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    That mark seems odd. I've not had an issue with my Haida 10 stop and em1. I wonder if you got a bad filter. Are all your shots like this? I'm on my phone right now, so I can't check the exif...what mm were these shot at?

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    That is some very nasty flare.
    Which lens?
    Was the sun just out of the photo each time?
    Did you have just the ND filter on the camera or another one as well?
    You could have shaded the sun with your hand to stop direct sunlight falling on the filter. Or a lens hood would have helped.

5. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Most of photos are like this . Some are good. I shoot at 12 mm. I don't know if the sun affect the photo ??

6. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Oly 12-40 2,8
    I don't remember if each time the sun was just out of the photo
    Only the Nd filter i had.
    I couldn't fit lens hood with the nd filter.

I was wondering if plays role that there was a space between filter and The holder of filter . The holder is a cheap from eBay. Something like this
    New Color Filter Wide-Angle Holder for Cokin P series eliminate vignetting

7. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    i think you got something weird going on with your camera accessories

i use the same body and lens combo, and often with B+W ND and/or CPL filter (and stock lens hood fits fine on top), shooting at all sorts of focal length and directions relative to the sun...never ever seen anything like that

i do have 1 annoyance with the em1 for long exposure, and that is the sensor tends to overheat quickly(??), shooting series of long exposures is limited by necessary cool-down periods... and annoyance of needing to use NR-Reduction (via dark frame subtraction) lengthens time before review, and which further exascerbates the heat

8. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Pretty certain that full circle "flare" is not caused by a sun just out off the frame, to me it looks more like the reflection of your lens's front element on the ND filter being captured

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Now that sounds a good explanation. It would be caused by having the filter too far away from the front of the lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Was going to say the same. How far is your filter from the front of your lens? If you have a gap and light's getting in around it, it's like shooting through a window.

You might try throwing a dark cloth or something over the lens and filter to cut down on this. Careful to keep the edges out of the frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

First of all, those shots are very dull because of the time of day and the lighting conditions. A long exposure will not improve the quality of light. That aside, I assume you're talking about those reflections from your front element? The problem is your filter holder.

When using square heavy NDs like a 10 stop, you need to make sure there are no light leaks between the filter and lens. It's fine to go bare for like a 3 stop grad but at 10 stops light leaks are a huge problem - they will reflect off the front element, off the back of the filter and dominate the image because so very little light from your scene gets through the heavy filter. Have a look at the stuff from Lee, they come with gaskets to plug light leaks between filter and lens. Personally I find them too much hassle, and use a circular 10 stop from Haida which mounts directly on the lens.

Next time, try a long exposure in your back yard first to iron out these problems before you go on a trip.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    No, it is never a good opportunity to try something for the first time on your vacation.
    Apart from everything else, this is the best advise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    The truth is that i didn't know about light leaks. I will search for a serious Filter Holder. I want to ask if the viewfinder must be covered when i took long exposures ???

I realized this time. In my next trip i will be ready .......

You are right. I will practice in order to iron out these problems...

If there is anything else which i have to know for Landscape- Long exposures photos. Plz share with me...

14. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    No, not with an evf.
    With and ovf, yes, but we don't have to worry about that ;)

I'm new to long exposures too but I have learnt a lot from scouring YouTube videos about this. Lots of terribly long-winded stuff as well as too brief stuff too out there but you can still get a few tips and tricks here and there.

Practice practice practice as they always say ;)

15. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot again. I will search for videos, I will change my holder and i will try to prectice more and more....

• Like Like x 1