OMD EM1 issue with Fl600R

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mrPat, Dec 10, 2015.

1. mrPat

mrPat New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2012
    Hi is anyone having problems with fl600r on camera with em1? I'm getting lots of miss fires n occasionally wrong power output. It's actually really in reliable. Doesn't do this with my em5.
  2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Maybe a hot shoe issue?
  3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    What does Olympus support say?
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    One thing to check is your lens. Did you try the flash on the Em5 AND the same lens you were shooting with on the E-M1?

I ask because I had a 12-60mm lens that developed intermittent aperture issues where it didn't always close down properly for the shot. I noticed the problem when taking shots my my hotshoe flash because some photos came out completely blown out. At first I was thinking it was the flash, but soon figured out it the aperture. I had the lens repaired and they replaced the "aperture control assy. motor and associated parts". Has been great for almost two years now.

A quick check it to switch into Aperture priority mode, set the aperture as closed down as possible for the lens (e.g. f22), then while looking into the front of the lens press the preview button over and over and make sure the aperture is properly closing down consistently.
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Try cleaning the contacts on the hot shoe and flash mount. I use DeoxIT (CAIG Laboratories - Home of DeoxIT® and Hand-E-Glove®) when I want to clean electrical contacts. Used to do the rubber eraser bit, but the ones on pencils are too abrasive and leave crumbs. A tiny spritz of DeOxit on a Q-tip suffices for me. I've also done this with lens and camera contacts, but do not spray into the lens or camera.
  6. franklyadam

franklyadam Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2014
    My fl-600r started doing this when I upgraded from e-m5 to e-m1. Turned out the guts of it were failing. Sent it into Olympus for repair and they replaced the motherboard, after it came back I got 10-20 shots out of it before it stopped working again. Back to repair it went where they replaced the 'trigger', it's been working great since. It never fired with the wrong power but when broken it would only flash for like 1 in 40-50 presses of the test button, very rarely on the camera.