1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD-EM1 intermittent lock up?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gary Ramey, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    My wifes camera has locked up about 3 times in a year. Not overly concerning but I wanted to see if this is an isolated experience. The only way to get it back, is to remove the battery and reinsert it. Any suggestions? My thoughts are Olympus will put it through the hoops and it will pass just fine. So the next time, we plan on doing a video.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It is running the latest firmware?
    Is it a genuine battery?

3. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Yes, and Yes. We do have a mixture of batteries but my wife keeps the Olympus brand for the EM1.... I get to use the knock offs with my EM5 :biggrin:

4. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Not that this is of any help at all, but the GoPro Hero models are known for this as well. I wonder if there is a similar cause.

Regards
    Andrew

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    E-M1 lockups were a common problem with earlier firmware (software bugs), but the rate seems (anecdotally) to have dropped off since 1.4 was released. I got my E-M1 with 1.4 and haven't had a lock up yet (about 4 months and maybe 5000 images). However there do seem to be many who have occasional freezes still, so it's clearly not 100% fixed. I think 3 in a year is livable with. These things are complex real-time computers and I don't expect perfection.

6. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    My wife states it happens only in continuous shoot mode

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    1. Have you double checked you are on 1.4 firmware.
    2. It could be the card, based on the continuous shoot clue. Do you use a high quality, genuine card?