omd em1 focus problems

Hi I am looking for some advice as I am having problems with being able to use autofocus. Camera is unable to focus in auto mode or live view

both the 12-40 and 75-300 mk 2 having problems with both (12-40 manual focus ring is not in manual mode )
tried 2 Olympus batteries
reset camera
firmware version is 2.2

sometimes I might be able to take 2 shoots before camera will stop focusing or lockup

any advice greatly appreciated

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Take off the lens and clean the electrical contacts in the camera with a clean cotton cloth.

Just tried that no luck also tried Panasonic 14-42 was ok for 10 shoots then stopped focusing, put 12-40 back on ok for a few shoots then the same

JimUSNY

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
what if you shoot in manual focus does will it still take a picture? the fact its working intermittent says its probably something other than electronics, either loose contacts or maybe shutter button, have you tried to set up a back focus button see if it works like that?

Just an update to problem, camera was picked up on Friday 28th November by Olympus and sent for repair to Portugal .
Has been returned back to me to day 3/12/2014 repaired
1 Fault found mainboard and replaced
camera is now working fine, all I can say what a fantastic service this has been by Olympus

:smile:

Aniseedvan

Mu-43 Regular
Just an update to problem, camera was picked up on Friday 28th November by Olympus and sent for repair to Portugal .
Has been returned back to me to day 3/12/2014 repaired
1 Fault found mainboard and replaced
camera is now working fine, all I can say what a fantastic service this has been by Olympus

:smile:
That's great news - and excellent service too.

dafox

Mu-43 Rookie
Not to hijack a thread but this is a similar/same issue. I've been having similar auto focus issues as stated above. Manual focus OK, single point active, w&wo manual override. Images are not sharp. Their ok? but not eye popping wow. I've thought it something I've done wrong. Yesterday I took the rig to my local rep and he advised micro-adjusting all my glass. Looking into this, I haven't been able to find too much info on the subject. Which leads to question should all lenses need calibration or is there a bigger issue with the body?

D

Deleted member 20897

Not to hijack a thread but this is a similar/same issue. I've been having similar auto focus issues as stated above. Manual focus OK, single point active, w&wo manual override. Images are not sharp. Their ok? but not eye popping wow. I've thought it something I've done wrong. Yesterday I took the rig to my local rep and he advised micro-adjusting all my glass. Looking into this, I haven't been able to find too much info on the subject. Which leads to question should all lenses need calibration or is there a bigger issue with the body?
What lens or lenses are we talking about?

dafox

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Barry. I'm using an m1. Lenses are m.zuiko
12-40 2,8f; 60 macro; 75 1.8f

dafox

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for your suggestions Barry. I have the IS on when hand-held, off when on tripod. I have used various shutter speeds, f-stops, etc...
I will try the shutter shock but I'm not sure of that suggestion, an opinion as to your reasoning would be great. I've even used studio lighting to freeze any movement on people. I've shot people, close-ups, scenic, most anything with similar results. The results are similar with all three lenses. When I look at them 1:1 they're not there.

I had a Big name camera prior to this with basically kit glass that I was getting pretty decent results from. Now I have a better body and pro level glass and sub-par results. Very frustrating indeed.

Below is an example of a size jpeg.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom