OMD EM1 and adapted lens (Nikon 300mm F4 AFS)

Sootchucker

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi guys, have a quick question for you. I recently purchased a Nikon G to m4/3 adapter to try some of my Nikon FF lenses on the M4/3 format (OMD-EM1, GX7 and GH3). So far I've only tried one lens and body combo and that's the OMD-EM1 and Nikon 300mm F4 AFS.

When mounted, I pressed the Super Control Panel (SCP) "IS" button and by pressing the cameras "INFO" button, I set the focal length to 300mm. The ISO was set to Auto ISO (max 3200) and aperture priority with the lens aperture ring wide open (F4).

Now here's the question, even though I appear to have set the focal length to 300mm, when shooting, the camera only selects a shutter speed of 1/100 sec. I assumed this was because the Auto ISO was hitting max ISO, but when checking, most of the images were at ISO800-1250. I would have thought that the camera would use all the available ISO to get the shutter speed up to about 1 x FL or at least 1/250-1/400 ?

Also, when re-checking the IS settings in the SCP, although it says 300mm in the lower right corner, under the words "Focal Length" and "INFO" it says "AUTO"? Does this mean the camera is ignoring my set up FL and trying to do things itself ?

Now whilst the IS is doing an amazing job of combating camera shake at an effective FL of 600mm with only 1/100 sec, the keeper rate isn't massively high so I would like to get the shutter speed up somewhat. Any idea what I'm doing wrong please ?

barry

Super Moderator
Hi,

I'm guessing that the camera doesn't want to use high ISO for some reason.

Anyways, either use 'S' or 'M' mode and choose a shutter speed manually, or lower the ISO cap.
(I'm guessing you're in 'P' or 'A' mode, neither of which give very good control on a manual aperture lens.)

Barry

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Barry is Correct.. You really want to try and use M mode and have the ISO set to the Highest quality that you feel is acceptable., Or you can just use ISO Auto with the camera in S mode .

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Why use S mode when the camera has no way to control aperture automatically? Might as well use M. I would use A, and set the ISO to a fixed value according the light conditions and your preferences. If you need more shutter speed, boost the ISO a stop or two. I'm not sure the in-body IS works quite as well with long telephotos. Let us know what shutter speed u find sufficient for hand-held shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
Just set it to S and keep the lens relatively near or close to wide open. If it's dropping to 1/100th you're probably shooting in dim conditions. If you start shooting in sunnier weather, just switch back to A.

Real Name
Chris
Setting the focal length does not affect the shutter speed. The camera makes no decisions on that based upon your input of 300mm. The 300mm input that you put in adjusts the way the IBIS works only.

I use a Canon 300mm on my E-P5. Typically work A mode. I manually set A on the lens and the camera picks a shutter speed for me to properly expose. If I want to change shutter speed, I change the A on the lens or change ISO.

barry

Super Moderator
Barry is Correct.. You really want to try and use M mode and have the ISO set to the Highest quality that you feel is acceptable., Or you can just use ISO Auto with the camera in S mode .

FWIW, Auto ISO also works in M mode on the E-M1.

Why use S mode when the camera has no way to control aperture automatically? Might as well use M. I would use A, and set the ISO to a fixed value according the light conditions and your preferences.

Assuming you mean 'S' not 'A'.

The E-M1 seems to function equally in S or M mode with manual lenses, and even P mode will work (but the shutter and ISO will be unpredictable).

Barry

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Barry

To be accurate, Auto-ISO can be set to work in M mode on the E-M1, or not. There is a setting that decides.
It is a different setting to the one that decides if Auto-ISO is on or off.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green

Assuming you mean 'S' not 'A'.

The E-M1 seems to function equally in S or M mode with manual lenses, and even P mode will work (but the shutter and ISO will be unpredictable).

Barry

Actually, I would assume that he meant A mode, since neither the Micro 4/3 camera (nor the photographer) can set the aperture on any Nikon G-mount lens, you are going to be shooting wide open by default, and the camera is going to only have control over shutter speed and ISO.

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I thought the original post was referring to the AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4, which has an aperture ring. But I understand the confusion related to the use of the term "G" which does mean no aperture ring. I don't think any 300mm prime "G" Nikon lens exists.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
There also do exist adapters (even cheap ones) that have a mechanical control to adjust the aperture for G lenses. Canon EF is the only really bad one for adapting, since you need either a very expensive electronic adapter, or an adapter with a built in aperture (which usually does terrible things to the lens performance, and doesn't work with really fast lenses, anyway).

Sootchucker

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the replies, I'll give your suggestions a go.

Just to clarify, my adapter is for Nikon G lenses and has an aperture control ring (as G lenses don't), but I'm using my 300mm F4 AFS D lens on it which does have its own aperture ring.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why use S mode when the camera has no way to control aperture automatically? Might as well use M. . . .

Because when using S mode if you set the ISO to auto it adjusts the ISO t. . . .

Actually, I don't really feel like typing out the explanation right now but there is a great DPreview article about using the new Sony A7 in S mode with manual Legacy glass , where they explain the use of this particular setting very well .

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Thanks RDM. I had trouble finding the article you mentioned. I'm assuming that using an adapted lens in S mode allows auto ISO to work, or work better, than using M mode. I'm guessing that when you use S mode with an adapted lens and auto ISO enabled, then as you change the shutter speed, the camera actively changes the ISO in order to maintain correct exposure (the only thing it could change, since the aperture can only be changed manually).

I think the original post asked a clear and interesting question, and I'm not sure s/he really got a direct answer. When working in A mode, it seems to me that what is needed is a way to put a "floor" if you will on the slowest shutter speed that auto ISO will allow before increasing the ISO. As near as I can tell, the auto ISO on the E-M1 apparently does not allow that level of control, and thus it might make a "bad decision" on what shutter speed to allow, even when the focal length of the lens has been entered into the camera.

Dave

Latest threads

Top Bottom