OMD EM1 - AF and Drive settings for puppy shooting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Hi all, quick question please.

I've never used the EM1 before for anything other than single point AF. But we have just bought a new puppy to fill the hole in our lives left by the passing of our beloved cocker spaniel "Jake" a few weeks ago, and I want to document "Charlie's" life in photos and video.

With the advent of the Olympus Firmware V3 (which I have), one of the improvements was CAF and tracking, however there were also mixed comments about needed to have the correct frame rates (Continuous high vs medium), and Tracking vs non tracking etc. and it all got a bit confusing.

The question is then basically for an unpredictable Puppy, what's the best camera settings for CAF modes, drive modes, tracking etc. from all you experts that have already figured this out ?

Whilst I know that the Olympus will not be as good as the best DSLR set ups, if I can get a 50% keeper rate, I'd be happy with that. I will be mainly using either the 12-40 F2.8 Pro or the 40-150 F2.8 Pro.

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    First of all, our Jake was a Cooker Spoodle & we miss him (died last year), but we are still kept busy with our other two dogs & more so with my son's Red Kelpie pup that spends 70% of the time living with us (for the last 4 or 5 months). Now to chasing a pup around, I have found S-AF on Low Sequential (2 or 3 frames at a time) to be better than trying to use C-AF Hi (sequential) because they end up being too close to stay in the frame. If it is an open space & the pup is chasing a toy then it might be OK.