1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM-5 - Stabilisation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TassieFig, Nov 1, 2013.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Since I'm trying to improve my photography skills I'm shooting in manual mode but I would also like to use the fabled 5-axis stabilisation.
    It does not seem to work. When I'm in manual mode IS is always off and I can't change it. Is this right? I can't get my head around why it would be like that...:confused:

Also, where is the 5-axis IS? All I can find is "off", "auto", vertical and horizontal.

Can anyone explain/suggest when to use what. I'd like to use 5-axis full time (except on tripod) and actually see it work on the screen/evf.

Any links to guides/tutorial would be helpful too

:smile:

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    To adjust the IS, go to your control panel by pressing OK. IS is in the
    bottom left corner. Your choices are: off, IS1, (this is "AUTO" - 5 axis)
    Just select whether you want IS1 for handheld or Off (when on a tripod)
    Using manual settings should not prevent you from making changes to your IBIS settings.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also, if you want the IBIS to engage during framing, you can make the following change:
    Custom Menu -> C -> Half Way RIs With IS, set to On.

This will engage the IBIS as long as you half-press the shutter, so you can get a stabilised live view. When set to Off, the IBIS only engages for image capture. If you're in video mode and have IBIS enabled, it will be engaged the whole time, and the preview should always be stabilised regardless of whether you're recording or not.

4. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ok, thanks for that. I'll just keep it on auto then.

That is the problem. I can't change it!. It's off no matter what I do.

I have that setting on but can't really see any stabilisation going on :confused: I do hear the whirl when I half press which I assume is the IS engaging. Today I was shooting some macro with manual focusing and couldn't for my life hold it still enough to get a sharp shot...plus the magnification was so in your face I didn't get a single decent shot :frown:

5. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Where did you get the camera from? Take it back and let them fix it for you

6. antenna

antenna New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2013
    If you try moving the camera around with the shutter half pressed, it should almost look like the viewfinder is responding in slow motion. It is less obvious (to me at least) when you're actually doing some of the stabilising yourself.

For the magnification you can dial it back to about 5x if necessary!

7. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yeah, I guess there is some slow motion going on. I expected it to be mush more.

I can only find on/off for the magnification (custom -> *A -> MF assist). How do you dial it back to 5x?

No option. 2nd hand in mint condition with less than 2000 clicks. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with it, it's just me trying to get to grips with all the settings. So much doesn't make sense. And I'm coming from P&S so it's all new to me.

8. antenna

antenna New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2013
    Turn the left dial while you're in magnification, you have options of 5,7,10, and 14x from memory. Only discovered it recently, but was much better than being stuck in 14x!
    I recommend pressing random buttons and spinning dials when you've got the time, it's how I'm slowly learning the camera at least.

9. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Got it, THANKS.

Hm, I also just found myself in manual setting with IS selected. No idea how I finally got that.

After playing around more with manual focus in macro and half pressing the shutter I can definitely see IS working.

Is it normal to get cramps in your fingers after all the acrobatics they go through pressing, turning, half pressing and clicking away all at the same time LOL

Thanks for the help guys

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've never had cramps from doing this:
    1. Zoom with left hand (don't have to with a prime, obviously).
    2. Dial in exposure compensation with right hand (I usually set the aperture before even raising it to my eye).
    3. Half-press focus, re-frame, and shoot.

For stuff where fine focussing matters, it often becomes more like:
    1. Zoom with left hand.
    2. Dial in exposure compensation with right hand.
    3. Select AF area with arrows using right hand.
    4. Turn manual focus ring with left hand - I've got it set to auto-magnify the selected AF area when the manual focus ring is turned.
    5. Half-press focus, re-frame, and shoot.

For really awkward angles, the tilting touch screen focus and shoot capability is awesome.

• Like Like x 1