1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM-5 possible purchaser

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pokemon, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    Hi everyone!

I'm new here and this is my first thread. I'm seriously considering buying into the micro four thirds set up as I really like a lot of the images I've seen on this forum and also like the compact size of the set up. The OMD seems to be the obvious purchase as a long time ago i use to own the OM2n and loved it!

A few questions:
    WHERE do i get a silver OMD from? They seem sold out everywhere! If you can please direct me to the correct camera shop...:smile:

Which lens or lenses would you recommend? I'm not a wide shooter and have always preferred the 50mm pov more...

Is it a easy camera to figure out? menu etc? I'm a little daunted by the complex menu system as i'm really not a techie!

I apologize if all this has been covered in a previous thread but i couldn't answers to all my questions!

At this point I have no camera gear!

2. costigaj

costigaj New to Mu-43

May 16, 2012
    I got mine at Mikes Camera in Boulder on the Internet. They had them before Amazon and Oly had theirs. As for lenses , the 2 kit lenses are good but if you are willing to spend a little more get a Panasonic 20mm and Zuiko 45mm and you'll be in good shape.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    If you like the 50mm pov get the 25mm f1.4 lumix you will not be disappointed. In case your not aware m4/3 uses a 2x crop factor, so whatever lens you are investigating the 35mm equivalent is the focal length times 2. If your after a silver body you will have to search around as they seem to be rarer. Good luck in your search, I don't think you will be disappointed with the OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    When you joined you neglected to fill in your location, and you didn't mention it in your message. The web is international, there's no point in me telling you what camera stores in my home town have it if you can't get there because you're on the other side of the planet.

In case you haven't read Olympus has been overwhelmed with pre-orders. Their intial production run was the black body, making the silver harder to get. Stores are still filling the pre-orders, so as soon as they come in they go out the door.

Personally I got lucky a month ago when I found a black body only box on display in a store counter when I walked in, although I really wanted the silver with lens. A few days ago when checking Kijiji and Craigslist I saw a silver with 12-50, so I snatched that one too.

Regarding the 12-50mm (24-100 equivalent) kit lens, it's dust and splash proof, so with it on the EM5 you can shoot in the rain.

As for the menu, it is advanced, but once you get used to it the menu system is logical, and has been rated high by reviewers. The following video goes through the Oly PEN menu system, which is similar to the EM5 menus:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFFkZot24I]An In-Depth Look at the Olympus Pen Camera System with Wireless Flash - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  5. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I got the Silver 12-50 in Denver, Colorado on Memorial Day from Mike's Camera AND Adorama Camera sent me a black 12-50 while I was on vacation in Maine last week. Just sent the one I ordered from Adorama Camera back yesterday. Perhaps I should of sold it :frown: I would do a preorder from several sites as well as trying a local store.

I migrated from the Nikon D90. I just wanted something a lot smaller due to most of my photography is while hiking and backpacking. For me the menu system is not anymore complicated than the D90. I would demo one first before purchase if you are worried about the complexity.

I would go with the 12-50 lens due to it being waterproof and it seems to have better reviews than the 14-42. Currently I have the 12-50, 9-18 and panni 100-300.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well, if you like the 50mm AOV you're in luck because the E-M5 + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 Summilux combination would be right up there as one of THE best in Micro 4/3.

7. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    Thank you for that you tube link! I really appreciate it!
    And yes you are right I forgot to mention i'm in Houston TX.

8. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    Thats the lens i have been thinking of getting! Not available any where I've looked so far

9. Keep an eye out here. Often someone will post a thread when it is in stock at any of the major US suppliers.

10. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    Thank you every one for the responses and advice!