1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM-5 Focus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CRANSTALL, Aug 14, 2012.

1. CRANSTALL

CRANSTALL New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    Hi can anybody point me in the right direction to find how to resize the focus box at the minute i have a great big square box to indecate the focus area but if i am takeing photo,s of small birds on round tree trunks it locks on to the front edge off the tree and the bird is not in focus ? I have done it once but that was by accident and then i was in the menu,s and changed something else only to find what ever i did had changed the focus box size back again to a big square and i have been pulling my hair out since trying to get it back again haveing just swopped to this system i have managed so far without haveing to shout help but this has really got to me so any help would be gratefully received.

2. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Touch the right side of the lcd and you should see a slider....depending on what view you have...press info till you see on your lcd all settings such as iso/shutter/aperture etc...you also got to be in focus mode that you either touch and it takes a shot or the mode where you touch where you want the focal point but it doesn't shoot.

3. AndyT

AndyT Mu-43 Regular

4. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    This was on Gary Ayton's Photography Wikipedia (suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki])

To change AF selection to ONLY the centre square, in shooting mode, press the left rear arrow button, and this will display the AF area grid.

press INFO button and this allows you to:
    select Face Detect mode via left/right arrow buttons
    select the size of the AF region by adjusting with the up/down arrow buttons
    use the down arrow to get to just one AF region, and ensure this region is in the centre by again pressing INFO button to leave that mode so you can use the arrow buttons to move the AF area around.

5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Read page 45 of your manual.

6. CRANSTALL

CRANSTALL New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    Thanks for all your help everybody got that sorted though i have two of these bodies and one will magnify up to 14x and the other one will only go to 7x?? any thoughts on this the lens on the 14x is the 12-50 zoom. Regards Peter

7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    So when you tap the screen to display the magnification options, does the slider on the right not range from 5-14?

8. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    hidden magnification box

Hi the reason it isn't going past 7x is because you have the 2x divi-teleconvertor on at the same time, I found this out by accident when playing with both the magnify button and the divi-teleconvertor button mapped to FN1&2.
    Hope this clears up your confusion on this is as the whole magnification / focus box easter egg takes a bit of getting used to but with the magnify button mapped and remembering to use the info button then your right dial to change the magnification box then using the ok button at anytime to get out it becomes more natural.