OMD EM-5 book by David Busch

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by oldcarrot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. oldcarrot

oldcarrot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2012
  2. waffley

waffley Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Thank you for that! I have to say I am struggling at times with the manual, so a well laid out book would be a bonus!
  3. Chris Malikoff

Chris Malikoff Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    This is good news, but if it comes out as a Kindle book - PLEASE make it available to us unwashed masses who don't live in the continental US. It is entirely frustrating how many ebooks we can't buy because of strangled distribution and localisation of electronic media.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    any word on this book? I`d really like to see it soon.
  5. Rhodel_close

Rhodel_close Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Id like to see this book come out too.
  6. photogirl101

photogirl101 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2010
    David Busch wrote a book for E-5 four/thirds NOT Micro 4/3
  7. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    You can get a full blown bound manual (not the pamphlet that comes with the E-M5) from Olympus. E-M5 &gt Product Manuals
    Cost $10 +tax, got it in two days. Explains every menu. 100+ pages. 8.5" x 5.5" pamphlet size
    You can download the pdf, personally I like the hard copy as opposed the pdf
    $10 is cheaper than printing and binding the pdf at Staples
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yes, but he is supposed to have one in the works for :43: (specifically the OM-D EM5). There seems to be an unexplained delay on Amazon getting it posted.

" David D. Busch Photography Guides: It's finished and it should be off the presses by mid-October. Thanks"!
    September 11 at 9:32pm

David D. Busch: Amazon should have it posted for pre-orders within a week.
    October 2 at 7:03am "

9. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I think he does them for lots of cameras as far as I know - pretty sure I saw one for the A57 (Sony Alpha) recently anyway..
  10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Oct 31 12 Update

David Busch posted a note on FaceBook regarding the OM-D book:

"Olympus OM-D guide will be available as soon as the booksellers decide to offer it for sale."

*No, I don't have a FaceBook account, but those interested can follow David here: using any browser.
  11. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Applemint -

Yep, he's currently the #1 camera guide author, if one bases the title on "books currently in print".

I've read several of his guides throughout the years and found most of them worth the purchase price (or, at least, the time it took to drive to the library:biggrin:).

*Disclaimer - I've no financial tie in with Mr. Busch's books (I only wish that I did! :wink:).

12. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    • Like Like x 1
  13. c12402

c12402 New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2012
  14. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Arrived today

David Busch's book on the OM-D E-M5 arrived today. Not as large as his Nikon D300 book, the E-M5 book is 240 pages. Soft cover, full color. This book is co-authored by Dan Simon.

Once again the LightRoom4 books will be shoved aside here at the Swamp in order to read something "more interesting" :rofl:.

The bad news...The Princess of the Exchequer requires that the Christmas tree be in place and decorated before I delve into the book.

The woman has absolutely no sense of priorities.

15. adrianlloyd

adrianlloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    Is it worth it?

There are some positive reviews on Amazon but the lone review on the iBookStore is not complimentary... eg

But if you are looking for a step by step well written manual of how to use this camera this is not the book for you. There is not one "how to page", i.e., how to set up bulb, time mode and get a pic on the monitor as the picture is being taken, i.e. another big one, how to get the menu available in the viewfinder and how to set up the menu options of how to achieve this, the list is endless.
    This book is not the manual and this camera needs a user friendly manual badly.

Any thoughts here?
  16. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    I've read 70% of it and that's enough for me.

While it's not entirely without value, it's lazily written and lazily edited. It's chock full of cut and paste errors and plain old factual errors. At one point he explains that to change mode, one must press the mode button and turn the main dial. In another section he spends three quarters of a page explaining how awesome his invention of the use of large colour pictures to describe the various controls of the camera is. He explains how to assign AEL/AFL to a button twice but at no point (as far as I can tell) does he explain what AEL/AFL are or how to use them. He also incorrectly describes the purpose of the focal length setting in the image stabilisation section of the menus.

My wife found it very amusing though. Every time I was reading it, I would regularly snort and mutter derisively which she found very entertaining.

It's nice to have a book in hand and like I said, it's not entirely without value but it's clearly a lazy, sloppy, cash grab that could have been much more.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Yeah, I had a B&N gift card and grabbed a copy and found the book entirely underwhelming.

This after having read the 'Dummies guide' for the E-PL1 written by Julie Adair King who did a splendid job of covering not only the camera basics but each control and when to make the best use of each. While it did have a lot of step-by-steps that were a bit tedious, I think that's part of the whole 'Dummies' MO. Never the less it went well beyond step-by-step and I learned an awful lot that I had been missing. I wish she had a volume for the OM-D.
  18. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    If someone wants to know every detail and every setting on OM-D as well as recommended setup and ton of good advise, I highly recommend John Greengo in-depth step-by-step tour of the Olympus OM-D EM-5 from CreativeLive. I found it much more valuable and practical than this book. I have no affiliation with CL, just sharing my opinion.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    buying this book was 100% wasted money for me
  20. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's another thread on this book here at and your comments pretty much mirror mine there. I came to the same conclusion.

There are a couple of responses from David Busch and from a co-author in that thread.
    • Like Like x 2