OMD EM-5 arrived today

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I decided to get one, a good time as well as the free grip promotion is back.
    It took me a while to remember how to use Olympus menus again but it coming back to me.
    I'm surprised just how 'compact' it is, even smaller than the G5, it well built and the buttons and wheels have a nice feel, ergonomically it does feel a bit cramped and there isn't much 'purchase' to hold, I can see why folk recommend the grip, I'll be keen to try it when it arrives from the free grip promotion.
    Its early days but first impressions are good, very different from the G5 and GH3 but thats good as now I have options to use whichever camera suits best what I'm doing.

Used it today with the Pany 25mm and had no problems at all, none of the lens "chattering" some folk have complained of.

I'll post further impressions and comparisons to the GH3 soon.

Paul

2. Beards

Beards New to Mu-43

Jul 3, 2013
    Chesterfield UK
    Yes, I am new to both this forum (joined an hour ago, so still have to introduce myself) and to the OM-D but boy oh boy do I love the little fella.
    I too have the grip which I purchased separately and can say it really transforms holding the camera immensely.
    Now I can grab the camera by the main side grip and throw my arm anywhere without fear of the camera flying at warp 5 across a room.
    Also with the bottom grip added and an official Olympus battery in both the camera and grip I can now go a full day without having to worry if I have enough juice to shoot/view.

As a backup I also have a good 'non Olympus' additional battery which only ever gets placed into the grip.

All in all am I happy, you bet I am.

3. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Is that only for participating stores or any UK store selling them?

Is it the promotion in top right of the page here? http://olympusuk.sales-promotions.com

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    That's the link.
    I sent my registration off yesterday and they confirmed it's been approved and I'll be sent my grip in due course :)

Paul

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice one Paul, that OMD+25 combo is a dynamite pair for many types of photography and it has now become my prime street shooting setup.

I also have the grip and use just the grip part as it allows better hand holding without adding too much bulk.

The 25mm is a stunning lens and even though I used to experience the "rattlesnake" sound with it on my GX1, since switching to the OMD it is silent and, faster to focus.

I am sure you will have many hours of fun with this combo and look forward to seeing the results on here.

Enjoy!

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Wecome

Welcome Beards,

It is good to see more members starting to join from the UK, for a number of years I have felt totally surrounded by our colonial cousins so good to see more UK residents joing the fray.

Great camera & great site!

7. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    After churning through 4 batteries at Glastonbury over the weekend, I am considering picking up the grip.

Enjoy the camera! My top tip is to disable the 4-way arrow controller, stops it randomly changing focal point when it's hanging around your neck.