OMD EM-10 No Image?

danieru

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Daniel
I got my OMD EM-10 today to replace my Panasonic G5, I was so excited, I already received the EM-10 handgrip, couldn't wait to try it out with my Panasonic lenses.

Installed the grip which is really nice, put in battery and memory card, mounted the Panny 12-35, power on, no image?? Black screen, on the viewer and also the EVF.

Was already sweating, afraid that I bought a dud, mounted Panny 14mm, no image, mounted Panny 25mm, no image, I was thinking is it me? Not familiar with Olympus bodies, perhaps needed to configure a specific setting, but couldn't find one to fix it.

Looked up installed firmware, v1.0, updated firmware to v1.1, still no image, now I was getting aggravated, googled omd lens not working, found some hits, one on youtube regarding EM-5, showed exact same issue, he had a black screen after lens not recognized.

Did some more reading and saw that someone temporarily fixed it by pushing the lens contacts on the body, though he said, he intermittently still has the issue that lenses aren't recognized.

So couldn't hurt, pushed all the lens contacts and low and behold, the lens was recognized and now can see through the lens, tried out all the lenses and they all work.

Now my question is, is this a known problem and is this the fix, or should I still send the camera back to get replaced? Or maybe just try it out a few days.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I think you'll be OK now. The pins were so tight in their individual sleeves that the little springs couldn't push them out to make contact. Once you have 'worked' them, they are sliding. Bet you don't have any more problems.
You may find some lenses are really tight to mount the first couple of times they are fitted. The burnishing action of installing and removing will clear that up as well.

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The issue is 99% of the time the user pressing the lens release button down while attaching the lens...this allows you to turn the lens PAST the locking point and you will get a black image. The lens has to be fully locked to work.

danieru

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Daniel
Okay, so I might be in the 1% ;-) because I did not press the lens release button while fitting the lens, but what Carbonman said makes sense, fitting all the lenses was a really tight fit, so tight I was afraid I might put too much pressure while turning the lens.

After a few mounts/unmounts it got a lot easier, I think it dit got a lot easier after I pushed all the lens contact pins, I switched the camera on this morning and it's still working, so I'm going to keep and try out the camera for a few days to see if it checks out.

danieru

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Daniel
Some pics of my G5 and EM-10 for who's interested taken with my GF1.

P1050814.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1050819.JPG
P1050816.JPG
P1050823.JPG
P1050822.JPG
P1050825.JPG
P10508261.JPG
P1050832.JPG
P1050833.JPG

Latest threads

Top Bottom