1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM-1 Leaked on Engadget

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by klee, Aug 18, 2013.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
  2. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    OM-D with a GRIP!!! :biggrin:

3. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Initial thoughts are that it's ugly. But maybe that's just my first reaction and it'll grow on me. I do like the AF/MF switch on the back, I do like that the power button seems to be rearranged to a better spot. I am curious what the dial on the left is though. It looks like it incorporated the E-P5s Picture Story mode which is interesting and I really do like the expanded remote shooting options, especially after seeing how the GX7 implemented it.

Can't wait to see more though.

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Interesting, but like pictures of the Loch Ness Monster pictures of yet to be announced cameras are invariably poor quality, low resolution and fuzzy around the edges. Why is that? :rolleyes:

5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    That IBIS demo in the video is almost hilariously impressive :biggrin:

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice find. They certainly listened about the grip :eek: That wifi camera control was impressive. It would be nice to set up the camera on a tripod like they did and lean back with an iPad as a view screen and control platform. It seems like a "Cadillac" version of the M5 with all the new toys.

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    No kidding! I'm specifically thinking of some wonderful pictures I took in Yellowstone National Park last winter, shivvering over my tripod with the temperature at -26F. Instead I could of been sitting in my car enjoying the heat and simply poking my ipad from time to time!

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Believable video. It is less elegant than the EM-5. The grip is possibly a bit too big now.
    Maybe the silver one will look better.

The rocking IBIS demo was a popular shop demo with camcorders 10-20 years ago.

It looks like the tablet/smartphone app has been done properly. I need a remote viewfinder for when the camera is down too low to use the EVF and too bright for the screen. Stand back and shade the smartphone screen to examine the focus and composition.

9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Now the price :rolleyes:

10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    OK they are screen shots, the video looks far more convincing! That looks very much like the camera I might be buying in about four years time! :smile:

11. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Gods.... it's fugly... :eek:

AF with FT glass seems ultra impressive; bearing in mind the 14-54 was already fast on :43:, of course.

From the rumors so far it doesn't seem to be the case, but, if overall sensor performance would be in the ballpark of D7100 or K5ii, this camera could kick a$$ in so many levels.

Also, there were some speculations about the dial on left-top, having an "HDR" function. We'll have to wait for more info on this, as well as other useful new features.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A better grip is one thing - but that is really ugly! It ruins the look of the camera. :shakehead:

13. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Four years!?! Sorry to break the news but these modern gadgets doesn't last so long :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

14. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    They sell also grip-less option for those not liking the grip. It's much cheaper and they call it EM-5 :biggrin:

15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Somehow I doubt that the photographic world isn't clamoring for an Olympic GH3. If it really sells for the rumored $1500 price, Canon will sell 1000 SL1 cameras for every one that Olympus sells.

Mainstream pros have never, and probably will never, buy 4/3 sensor cameras in significant numbers. Even for enthusiasts there is not enough IQ bang for your buck. I think only Fuji understands the upper end mirrorless market.

16. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Video here
    http://www.engadget.com/video/5min/517895409/

My observations:
    1. Grip looks preproduction, it looks like it is partially blocking the AF assist lamp
    2. Mode dial has an extra setting that's hard to make out. Maybe a myset "S1"?
    3. 2 buttons by the mount, DOF preview and....?
    4. Extra dial on the left hand for...AF mode? Someone suggested HDR function? It's at least hosting the power switch.
    5. MMF3 adapter necessary for 4/3 glass
    6. Liveview output via HDMI used for the IBIS demo. Wonder if that will make it to production.
    7. Flash control port on front
    8. Someone said they saw a fully articulated LCD.
    9. Wifi live view and full control looks great.
    10. Rep didn't mention max shutter speed, mic input, # of PDAF points, AA filter presence
    11. The "technical" rep from olympus is generally irritating. But I appreciate the sneak peek.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but with live view over wifi/HDMI, PDAF AF-C, IBIS, and possibly a mic input, perhaps the EM1 is going to be a video monster.

I guess that depends on the compression codec support also.

If I were a videographer, I'd go with the GH2 still. If a pro 4/3 shooter, I would grab the EM1. But I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm still very pleased with my EM5.

17. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Sounds like they had you in mind with the freeze proofing too

18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    This has some answers.

d-e-m5-beschreibt-photorumors-neue-mft-systemkamera-e-m1-veroeffentlicht--bild-photorumors-23381.

19. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I like the look (and size) of the buttons, but the camera just looks cheap to me!

20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Wait for silver.