OMD EM 1 back button focus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Thibaw, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Thibaw

Thibaw New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2014
    I'd like to set up my Oly EM1 with back button focus.
    Ideally I want focus lock on one button (AEL/AFL) and exposure lock on another (Fn2)
    I can assign back button focus to the AEL/AFL ( or any other button) quite easily but the problem is I can't separate the functions of AFL and AEL.
    This is a real drag as I use the lock exposure button all the time. I can have one or the other by the look of things.
    I can't believe such an incredibly customisable camera with so many programmable buttons won't do this.
    Has anyone worked this out?
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Half-pressing and holding the shutter will lock exposure.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
  3. Thibaw

Thibaw New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2014
    Yes, it does. But I would like to have both an exposure lock and focus lock separate from the shutter release. This feature is available on a lot of higher end cameras and with the amount if customisation on the Oly I think it should have been included.
  4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I use the lever to switch between SAF/MF or SAF/CAF. MF locks focus.
  5. Thibaw

Thibaw New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2014
    Hi Gary
    I've decided to allocate Fn2 as manual focus, that way I can autofocus with shutter and then Fn2 to manual which effectively locks focus.
    Not as good as a dedicated button, but it will have to do.
    Maybe a firmware upgrade will sort this in the future.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    AFAIK, having separate shutter release, AEL and AFL is not possible. However, is AEL really important with an EVF? With the histogram or blinkies enabled, and exp comp on the rear wheel, dialling in the right exposure is very quick and easy.
  7. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I did set my E-M1 up for back button focus on the AEL/AFL button some time ago, but I had trouble reaching the button with my thumb when looking into the viewfinder so I reverted it back to AF on the shutter button.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thibaw

Thibaw New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2014
    You could set up focusing on Fn2 - then it's very close to the shutter release.
  9. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Same problem here. My thumb is not long enough, I guess.
  10. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Yes, my thumb could reach Fn2, but this results in leas contact between my hand and body due to shifting hand to the edge of camera, creating stability problems. Not ideal.
  11. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    Back Buttpm Focus

It is really simple. Set on "A" AEL/AFL to Mode 3 and this puts AF on the AEL/AFL button. If you have larger hands that is where you want it. If you want to retain the AE:/AFL or have smaller hands, I would recommend using the F1. I personally use AEL/AFL and seldom use that function with EVF anyway. This is on the EM-1. On the EM-5 you set it on F1 usually.

It works great for difficult focus issues like a bird in a tree. Use small focus on the bird and then fire away.

12. Thibaw

Thibaw New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2014
    Olympus just replied to my email re back button focus and exposure lock:

"I've spoken with our Product Training manager to see whether we could figure something out for you. Unfortunately you can't separate the functions. You can assign the AEL/AFL function to a different button entirelybut not separate them."

Thats that, then

13. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Yeah, that's one of my negatives right now...not HUGE, but would still prefer to have the ability.
  14. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013

im the last to want to instruct people on what they "should" do... but am very curious if this behavior is a holdover from the dslr process? never ever found need to swap metering modes or order since its easy to lock intended exposure