Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BobBill, Aug 31, 2012.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Adverts tout it being somewhat weather proof...lens too? Or is the idea good etc, but really a red herring?
  2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The weather sealing works, and there are a number of posts here from users attesting to that. The problem is that you need to use a weather sealed lens in order to benefit from the weather sealing. The recent Olympus 12-50 zoom is weather sealed and I bought mine in a kit with that lens for that reason. So far I haven't needed the weather sealing.

The other thing is that weather sealed means it's basically shower and rain proof, but it isn't water proof so don't take it swimming.

I think it's handy if you need to shoot in the open in wet weather but my main problem about that is that the camera and lens are going to be better weather sealed than I am, and I don't find standing out in the rain all that pleasant.

The E-M5 is a great camera, and I'm really happy with mine, but I didn't really buy it for the weather sealing. If you need the weather sealing then go for it, but don't discount the camera if you don't need weather sealing. I think that most people who have bought one haven't needed or used the weather sealing and very few seem to regret the purchase.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    It's definitely a good idea as long as you realize that weather sealed doesn't mean completely waterproof. Useful if you get caught in a sudden rain shower or for that "must get" shot on a wet day. Not sure I'd use it for extended periods in heavy rain.
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    The 'weather proofing' also aids in shooting in dusty climates - as long as you don't try swapping lenses in the midst of a Haboob.

There is a weather proofed adapter offered by Olympus that allows weather proofed Four Thirds lenses to be used on the Micro Four Thirds bodies.

I find the weather proofing handier for keeping dust at bay than I do for keeping the rain off. (I can't go out in rain, I'm so sweet I melt :biggrin:).

The hot shoe must remain covered, either by the weather proof flash or by the hot shoe covers and the contacts for the grip must also remain covered to insure weather protection.

I don't consider it to be a gimmick, rather a useful feature.

5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    I haven't had the chance to test the weather sealing claim out, but you DO have to have a weather sealed lens like the 12-50 or the Panny 12-35 or else the system is not protected from the elements. I agree with the above posters that while it's likely fine to use it if you get caught in the rain, I wouldn't use it for a prolonged period of time in heavy rain (especially if the rain is coming at you from all different directions), it's not waterproof (ie. can't be submerged), and I read a post of poor seal protection from the bottom seals used to cover the handgrip contacts. In that post, I remember the poster commenting on different levels of weather resistance, with the level of resistance of the OM-D not as good as that of, say the Pentax K-30 that seems far better in this regard; I saw a video of a GI dumping his Pentax in sand and dousing it with a ton of water to subsequently clean it out without ill effect. There's NO way the OM-D would do well with that. There are several levels of water resistance, and the OM-D reportedly offers the least protection in that regard:

That said, it's FAR better than no weather protection.
  6. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Thank-you all and each for your comments. It is as I thought and your comments confirmed...I am so careful, weather proof is sort of redundant, but there are times...merci.
  7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  8. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012