1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD E-M5 - RAW dynamic range?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Jun 2, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Now that more than a few people have the E-M5, I was curious if anybody has any impressions of how the camera's RAW files handle significant post-processing.

Can one raise the exposure on shadow regions without exposing significant noise (i.e. the shadows still contain real detail)? Is it relatively easy to modify the color-balance of an image without introducing posterization or banding?

Both are issues I've been bumping up against fairly often with the E-PM1, and I'm wondering what the future holds!

Thanks,

DH

2. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Ooh, that steve huff 'pull' example is really terrific. He's pulled it out even further than he needed to, to the point where the shot looks a bit flat, and I still can't pick up much noise in the shadows. I wonder what it would look like if I tried to do the same with my GF1...

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks for the link. Steve posts a lot of good stuff, but at that level of magnification, I'm not quite sure what sort of detail is being retained.

Interesting. Definitely can see some noise and blotching in the 100% crop examples, but considering the amount of exposure tweaking, that might not be a problem.

Thanks,

DH

5. I haven't really attempted much shadow recovery on the E-M5 yet, but mostly because I haven't needed to. The big advantage I find with the E-M5 is the highlight headroom that allows you to overexpose without blowing out the sky. That's why you can open up an E-M5 file and still see blue sky with smooth gradations where you might have otherwise expected to see it all white and blown out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

It doesn't take long using the E-M5 to realise that you don't need to do nearly as much exposure tweaking compared with previous m4/3 cameras. The RAW files don't break down as quickly in ACR either. It was a fine line to tread pushing the Recovery slider between something that looked good and then dropping off the cliff to ugly, but with the E-M5 it is gradual and smooth with detail still coming in long after you'd have given up with the E-PM1.

Steve

7. Manila Man

Manila Man Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2011
    I updated iPhoto and still I get errors importing my E-M5's raw files.

8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    It's not an actual iPhoto update, but Digital Camera Raw compatibilty update you have to do. It's an OS X update basically.

9. Manila Man

Manila Man Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2011
    I ran software update and only the iPhoto update was available. I downloaded Camera Raw 3.15 and an error said I have later version installed. Still E-M5 raw is not recognized.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Good to know! Any thoughts on color rendering? Beyond the obvious shadow noise, I find it's darned difficult to impart on the E-PM1 a good neutral color signature (it tends to oversaturate, particularly the blue channel), and there's not a lot I can do with individual color channels before it gets ugly.

Thanks!

Is this iPhoto '11?
    DH

11. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    I think it's pretty good, and you have all the samples you need I think.

12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've seen a fair number of samples, but only a handful have the magnification needed to judge fine detail, which is where I'd expect the difference to be (at 50% or less, the current cameras do well too, but 3MP is not a lot of information).

Jordan's test is quite interesting, but the recovered shadow detail on both cameras does not look very good, though the E-M5 certainly appears the better of the 2.

Thanks,

DH

13. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    E-m5 raw files seems to be quite flexible. Coming from a Dslr world I find the E-m5 files very similar to a Canon 5d when pushing/pulling a RAW file.

What is impressive is that the Raw files doesn't fall apart like many Canon camera's I've owned and used. With my experience a 40d, 50d, 1dmk3, 7d the files start to fall apart at ISO 1250 in challenging light (enough iso to assure acceptable shuter speeds)

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The original 5D is still a benchmark of sorts for landscape photography, so that's encouraging. Thanks,

DH