1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD E-M5 Original design Grip

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bl1978, Mar 29, 2013.

1. bl1978

bl1978 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    OMD E-M5 Original design Grip

The major design points are as follows:

Handle aluminum alloy, 100% Made in Taiwan, one-piece CNC machining molding.
    ***Surface sandblasted again anodized black.
    2 high-quality stainless steel screws.
    The bottom of the screen is reserved flip screen finger space required and do the design styling combined handle.
    From time to dismantle handle direct replacement battery.
    Handle base the tripod hole directly on the tripod.
    6 handle next to the battery cover is also set aside finger clamshell space.
    7. Handle contains about 55 grams of plus or minus 3 grams of aluminum screws Weight

Photos on aluminum sample paint
    I can guarantee the quality of production can only be better.

In fact, the original handle is very pretty, but I have always felt that the two shutter New York in camera
    Looks really weird, so only want to design their own handle the idea.

The focus of my design ideas lies
    Appearance and structure, excellent balance point.
    Effectively without reducing the strength, reducing the handlebar weight
    Grip with body shape and in line with the use of touch
    As a whole in terms of E-M5 fitted started to increase height after 7mm
    Just let your fingers so that the grip up enough space

http://design.myweb.hinet.net/EM5_GRIP/IMG_0477.JPG" width="800" height="600"></img>
    [img]http://design.myweb.hinet.net/EM5_GRIP/IMG_0471.JPG" width="800" height="600"></img>
    [img]http://design.myweb.hinet.net/EM5_GRIP/IMG_0483.JPG" width="800" height="600"></img>
    [img]http://design.myweb.hinet.net/EM5_GRIP/IMG_0482.JPG" width="600" height="800"></img>
    [img]http://design.myweb.hinet.net/EM5_GRIP/IMG_0467.JPG" width="800" height="600"></img>
    [img]http://design.myweb.hinet.net/EM5_GRIP/IMG_0469.JPG" width="800" height="600"></img>
    [img]http://design.myweb.hinet.net/EM5_GRIP/P3291460.JPG" width="800" height="600"></img>
    [img]http://design.myweb.hinet.net/EM5_GRIP/P3291459.JPG" width="800" height="600"></img>

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Nice. I just wish it were possible to add a grip to the OMD that doesn't have to attach to the bottom, increasing its height. I like the camera's size as it is, just wish it had a grip. I'm not interested in making it any larger, even by a little.

3. RavenMad

RavenMad Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    Adrian
    Completely agree but not really sure how this could be accomplished. The tripod mount point is really the only spot that a grip could be attached without any other modification to the body...

4. bl1978

bl1978 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Side positioning column
    To the stability of the positioning of the handle and the fuselage

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
  6. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Nice job. I like the shape of the grip itself - great design of providing enough grip space and allowing easy access to the top shutter/dial. I wish the bottom plate would be a bit thinner if possible... it seems that most grips add approximately the same thinkness to the bottom (Oly OEM, RRS, JLM, and J.B. Camera). It is probably due to required minimum material thickness to provide strength as well as solid attachment... but I wish it would be thinner. Most of the time I go minimalistic and take a small Tamrac bag with one/two lenses and OM-D. Because of OM-D having a viewfinder "hump" on top and adding additional thickness on the bottom from a grip, the bag starts to bulge on the sides. Without any grips OM-D fits nicely so I tend to leave OEM grip behind for that reason. A grip design that would add very minimal additional thickness to the body would be ideal I think.

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Rvenmad,
    I have a grip on my Nikon 1 V1 that is attached with double-sided tape. It does not harm the camera and I've had it off at least once (although the tape has to be replaced each time it is removed). At the moment, I don't recall who designed and made it. If I find that source I may mention to him that there may be an OM-D market.

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    The Freniac grips attach with some double-sided tape that grabs tenaciously, and is very difficult (but possible) to remove. I've thought the same might work with the OMD, though the pebbled surface of the existing grip (where an 'add-on' would attach) might present a problem.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Good.
    I especially like the finger-flip clearance areas ;
    Thanks for posting links to your prototype pages too!

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Ugh...it's fine for those who want to make their camera bulkier, but I'm just glad the camera doesn't come with a permanent grip like that...I wuld never have bought the camera!

11. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Not to hijack the thread - the OP has a very nice design - but here's your answer:

~銃人魂~:~ã™ã‚“ã”ãæ¡ã‚Šã‚„ã™ã„ã§ã—ょã†ï¼ã®å·»ã~

DSC03509.JPG
    DSC03510.JPG
    DSC03511.JPG

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I wrote to Richard Freniac. This is what he had to say:
    "Hi Tom,
    Potentially, the biggest problem for stick-on grip could be the "skin" on
    the camera. I assume that the skin is solidly attached to the body but I'm
    not sure if people would want to put the grip with uniform surface on
    patterned skin.
    Another obstacle is the current workload with existing accessories. I have
    so many projects sitting on back burner.
    OMD grip would be an interesting project especially that quite a few users
    already addressed same question in Emails.
    So possibility exists but no timeframe for completion. Same regarding high
    end Fujifilm cams.

Kind regards
    Richard"

13. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Every once in a while I look at the leicagoodies site...I don't have a Leica any longer. However, I keep looking...
    www.leicagoodies.com

Check out the "sling" on this site. Simply connects to the strap hanging point. It would add stability to the camera. (Don't know why he calls it "sling!")

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    looks like an awesome design the one from the OP!. hope you can actually make it happen!.

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That design looks nice, but I would suggest rounding the top edge to the lens side a little.
    I originally made my own & you're welcome to use any design ideas from it. I included a grip strap & sling strap connection point on mine as well, because that was what I wanted at the time.

Here are some photos of it. I now use the HLD-6 (which I also added a little stick on modification to).
    P7112400-s. P7112401-s. P7122418-s.

:drinks:

16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's probably why they (Oly) designed the add on grip the way they did, for a customisable camera physically & firmware wise, to cater for you & me & others as they prefer it.

17. bl1978

bl1978 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
  18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Be fair, bl1978 is the O.P. for the thread.
    I like the almost poetic non-English bylines.
    "Easy portable" while wrong, isn't as creepy as "A Moment's touch".