OMD E-M5 Mark II - Freezes with new Firware 2.2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LuisMaxx, Mar 22, 2016.

1. LuisMaxx

LuisMaxx New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2016
    Upgraded to firmware v2.2 and now the camera freezes every 10 shots or so. This only happens when shutter is half way pressed, and it happens with every lens.
    With Image stabilization completely disabled it works without any issues!
    Any one else had this issue?
    Thanks

2. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    What mode of image stabilization do you have engaged? I'm using S-IS Auto for stills and M-IS2 for movie.

What function do you have assigned to the shutter-release half-press?

Does this happen with stills, video, both?

I am at v2.2 and have not seen that behaviour except with video while using a Lexar 1000x 64GB UHS-II card. Using my UHS-I cards with no issue.

3. LuisMaxx

LuisMaxx New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2016
    Hi Jerry, thanks for the quick reply.

I use the same modes as you, I have tried several combinations, only one that does not freeze the camera is off.

Shutter release half press is Focus, It happens with stills, not tested with video. I even removed the memory card, and just trying to focus on different areas (with no card on) it freezes. This freeze lasts 10/15 seconds then the camera is somewhat reset to previous settings (shutter speed/aperture/ISO) if I use it in manual. I would say that 10% of these freezes are only resolved by removing the battery.

Camera was absolutely fine until the firmware update.

4. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Did you format the card in camera before use? Do you have a second card to try? What card(s) are you using?

I had an issue with video where I had a similar lockup scenario which ended up being related to my memory card.

5. LuisMaxx

LuisMaxx New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2016
    I did not format the card in the camera. I could try that later on... thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a go.

I have Sandisk Extreme, Ultra, Samsung, Lexar... all causing the same issue, I have even removed the card and the problem still occurs.

6. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Can you re-apply the firmware? I'm not sure if this can be done, but probably worth trying.

7. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    How frustrating and really sorry to hear you are struggling on this, btw. I wonder if it could just be some combination of other settings you have? What about the anti-shock delay? I myself have not realized the timer is on, for example, and figured something was broken. So, maybe a reset on the camera and retry?

I would probably call Olympus support and see what they say if that doesn't work.

8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Try resetting the camera back to default...I know it would suck to loose all your custom settings, but at this point, it's worth a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's not possible the normal user way (unless you use LightSnow Dev).

10. Ross the fiddler

Yes, SD cards can create camera issues for sure & definitely should be formatted in camera to eliminate that possibility as well as trying a different SD card.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Have you also updated your lenses?

--Ken

12. LuisMaxx

LuisMaxx New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2016
    Hi Guys, Thank you for all the suggestions. I have tried many things, resetting to defaults as well. Nothing works, it has something to do with the shutter button and stabilisation. If I use the touch screen to take the photo, it never ever freezes, or if I completely disable IS; as soon as I use the shutter button with any type of IS enabled, it freezes again after a couple of shots.

Contacted Olympus support and they want me to send the camera for repair; however, it was bought in Canada and it only has a North America warranty :(... so it would be a chargeable repair in the UK/EU.
    I am frustrated as it was working 100% fine before the firmware update. Just hope the next firmware fixes it, fingers crossed.

13. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Hoping with you, LuisMaxx. My E-M5 II behaved same as yours when I first took it on a trip, and then the problem stopped. Unfortunately, I have to guess at what the cause was. Might have been an SD card issue - hard to say, as I did swap cards around a bit but don't remember if that included this camera. (I am presently using a new Lexar Professional 1000x 32GB card.) It's also possible that this was solved through a firmware update (which reset the settings - I doubt the next update will do that). I pretty much ruled out the battery as a cause.

14. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Ross, do you have a link to LightSnowDev tutorial for using his FW update method. I couldn't find it on the website.

Thanks,
    Moshe

15. Ross the fiddler

Maybe this is what you want.
    Here is the E-M5 Mk II download spot (with menu selections on the left etc). Olympus firmware update tool

16. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Thank you Ross, I misinterpreted the word 'forward' on the blue button. I probably expected something like 'Next'.

Thank you, and thanks to Jonathan for his work!

Moshe

17. Olivier1559

Olivier1559 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2016
    Whitehorse, Canada
    I understand it is not 100% related, but can we upgrade panasonic lens on olympus body?

18. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ross the fiddler

Yes, it is done through the Olympus Updater.

20. samfordu

samfordu New to Mu-43

Oct 1, 2016
    Did you find a solution to the camera freezing? I bought one 3 weeks ago and today if froze continously?