1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD E M5 grip 42.95 made in USA!!!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by karlw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. karlw

karlw Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
    Enfield Connecticut
    karl
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I saw that and am very interested in your experience. Please post your experience when you get it and have a chance.

3. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    I pre-ordered one as well last week. I had the Official Olympus grip with my previous OM_D, so I will have known the difference

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The price is cheap enough, but be careful the strength in the base around the battery door isn't too weak when using large(r) lenses. It would be a shame if the grip gave up with the weight of the heavier lenses on it as well. Being a plastic type of material, I'm a little concerned about it & I would see how much flex there might be in the grip piece, when mounted, with the narrow walls of material around the battery door.

5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I got a JB half-case for X100.
    It's decent enough, but doesn't fit as tight as a good leather halfcase.
    A friend of mine preordered one of this.. I'm gonna check it out when he gets it.

6. AerialFilm1

AerialFilm1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2012
    Wekiva, Florida
    My JB grip showed up this week. Very happy so far. It fits right , looks good and it's made well. I can't see where heavy lenses will be too much for the JB. If you have a lens that heavy on the tiny em-5, then you'll probably be supporting it with your focusing hand anyway. If you're not, then the JB grip will be the least of your problems.

• Like Like x 2
  7. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hmm, I wonder if this at all fits an E-PM2. I don't care how it looks. The little bugger (E-PM2) is a b*tch to hold with the 14-54 II + adapter attached. I always press the controls just trying to grip the thing. Even though I'm mostly left hand holding the lens.

8. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Doug
    I've been tempted by this as well. Just wish there was a ergonomic groove like the RRS grip has.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Being a plastic, styrene material, you could probably reshape it enough (maybe) to make it fit the E-PM2.

10. karlw

karlw Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
    Enfield Connecticut
    karl
    I have the grip installed

I got my grip and installed it...It looks good but I think I will do some sanding on it to get it for fit my hand perfect. It went right on and feels sturdy finish is a matt black. I have not had a chance to use the camera yet with it on but it looks like it will work good. I will keep updating as I get to contour it and use the camera on it. For under 50.00 you can not beat it I don't think. :thumbup:

11. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Got it today

It is smooth, well built, light and makes a difference in how the camera feels overall. I really bought it to make larger legacy lenses easier to hold, but it makes the entire camera easier to hold. I especially like that its not made of aluminum or steel since those materials get very cold when you hold the camera walking around town and the polymer stays warm.

Nice!

12. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    How about a picture of the grip mounted on your em5?

13. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Heres a few of my grip attached.. I tweaked it a little bit by wrapping it in dry carbon fiber vinyl and wrapping the grip portion with leather salvaged from my epm1 aki asahi leatherette kit. i like how it looks and if i get tired of it, i can peel it off and there will be no harm done to the original finish.... Awesome grip though! Adds almost no weight to the camera...

Attached Files:

14. Monographer

Monographer Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    South East Asia
    marlon671, i've been considering that grip for months and saw in video reviews that the possibel shallow thread in the locking screw to the body would not be enough to secure the set-up to a tripod. Have you tried it on a tripod? Also, has anyone managed to try this out?
    Amazon.com: UNX-9120 UN Grip & Stay for Olympus OM-D E-M5: Camera & Photo
    It has been unavailable the day I chanced upon this.

15. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Actually i have not threaded as of yet but will do so tonight and get back to you with an answer. by looking at it, it does look pretty shallow. i dont use tripods too much so it wasnt much of an issue until now that you mentioned. will report back tonight...

That one that you linked looked pretty awesome. i surprised even with the extreme popularity of this camera, that not many 3rd party grips are surfacing... especially in the ebay realm... weird..

i did manage to find a website that sells the grip you linked above for $99.99
    http://www.divervision.com/catalog/...p-1863.html?osCsid=libfg01lelr9h508tstvt559a1

16. Monographer

Monographer Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    South East Asia
    Ya, the shallow thread depth was what kept me hesitant on the purchase. The UN grip is double the price! But it does seem like a full metal construction and has a dedicated tripod thread hole. hmmm... anyone else has tried this grip?
    Still, its 1/3 the price of the original grip set-up.

17. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    So I'm glad to report that it screws on about 3.5 complete turns. For me ita enough security since I never leave my camera on a tripod for long anywaise. Even if its screws on 10 turns, a tripod can still be knocked over. Thats my biggest fear with tripods. Especially when there's people around that have no idea how much sweat I had to shed to be able to afford such a camera. Haha. And kids. They scare me too when I have my tripod set up for photos. Lol

I wouldn't do to much adjusting of the camera however. The mounting point of the screw is dangerously thin however. Im.not sure how well this would hold up on prolong tripod usage...

18. Monographer

Monographer Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    South East Asia
    Hmmm, thanks for the review marlon671 :) Yes, ignorant bystanders and kids would not know the arm and leg we had to sacrifice to get our gear!

19. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    No problem... I got bored when i got home yesterday and ripped away on the carbon and leather vinyl that i put on. I sprayed a few coats of rustoleum black hammered paint to give it a bit of a texture. in my opinion it looks awesome! i have not yet installed it back into my camera. im waiting for the paint to fully cure. Pictures to follow.