OMD E-M5 battery failure

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kmpod, Sep 17, 2013.

1. kmpod

kmpod Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    I've had and enjoyed my E-M5 since shortly after it's release.

I noticed, when I last charged one of my batteries (not aftermarket), that the charger light was flashing. I reseated the battery and things seemed to be working as usual. However, when I went out shooting yesterday evening the "freshly charged' battery failed after about 10 minutes.

Just over a year seems a short time for a battery to conk out. Has anyone else had this issue?

I do have a second battery and my husband's 2 batteries are functioning normally. The problem is that I don't trust any of them after this episode and I'm considering getting a couple of spares, as expensive as they are.
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was recently travelling in Central and South America and I had a (genuine) BLN-1 battery fail, one which I had only purchased in Australia earlier this year. The failure of the battery was indicated by the blinking light when I tried to charge it and the fact that when inserted in the camera there was no response. I tried a few times to get it to charge but it displayed the same error each time. Now that I am back home I tried to charge it again and it seems to have charged normally and the camera turns on and displays a full battery :confused: Good news, I suppose even though I don't trust it fully yet, but I'm glad I didn't discard of the battery when I was overseas. Maybe it just needed a decent 220 volt blast to wake it up.
  3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I had a new STK battery for my E-P3 fail this summer. One charge and first time out it overheated and got stuck in the camera. So sh!t happens. I replaced it with an OEM battery and all was well. At least you got a year out of it instead of a couple shots...
  4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I use my E-M5 only in America and after 1 1/2 years of heavy use the factory original battery is still working fine. Ditto all my E-PL1 batteries.
  5. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

A year in heavy use (full discharge every time) can reduce the capacity of a lithium battery. On the other hand, with shallow discharges (50%) they may last 1000 cycles. So it can vary with usage.

It's always good to have at least one spare. I've got three.
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I agree, regular deep discharge of lithium-ion batteries is not ideal.