OMD E-M5 battery failure

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kmpod, Sep 17, 2013.

1. kmpod

kmpod Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    I've had and enjoyed my E-M5 since shortly after it's release.

I noticed, when I last charged one of my batteries (not aftermarket), that the charger light was flashing. I reseated the battery and things seemed to be working as usual. However, when I went out shooting yesterday evening the "freshly charged' battery failed after about 10 minutes.

Just over a year seems a short time for a battery to conk out. Has anyone else had this issue?

I do have a second battery and my husband's 2 batteries are functioning normally. The problem is that I don't trust any of them after this episode and I'm considering getting a couple of spares, as expensive as they are.

2. I was recently travelling in Central and South America and I had a (genuine) BLN-1 battery fail, one which I had only purchased in Australia earlier this year. The failure of the battery was indicated by the blinking light when I tried to charge it and the fact that when inserted in the camera there was no response. I tried a few times to get it to charge but it displayed the same error each time. Now that I am back home I tried to charge it again and it seems to have charged normally and the camera turns on and displays a full battery :confused: Good news, I suppose even though I don't trust it fully yet, but I'm glad I didn't discard of the battery when I was overseas. Maybe it just needed a decent 220 volt blast to wake it up.

3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I had a new STK battery for my E-P3 fail this summer. One charge and first time out it overheated and got stuck in the camera. So sh!t happens. I replaced it with an OEM battery and all was well. At least you got a year out of it instead of a couple shots...

4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I use my E-M5 only in America and after 1 1/2 years of heavy use the factory original battery is still working fine. Ditto all my E-PL1 batteries.

5. A year in heavy use (full discharge every time) can reduce the capacity of a lithium battery. On the other hand, with shallow discharges (50%) they may last 1000 cycles. So it can vary with usage.

It's always good to have at least one spare. I've got three.

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I agree, regular deep discharge of lithium-ion batteries is not ideal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.