OMD E-M1X Rationale (from Olympus, not me ;)

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I had a good chuckle when he said:
"The E-M1 Mark II. That’s a good camera, but in certain circumstances it doesn't work for sports photography. For example having a joystick on the vertical and horizontal grips - that’s the kind of thing that’s needed for wildlife and sports."

Isn't the whole reason for having Touchpad AF so that you don't need a joy stick? You just use your thumb on the rear LCD to move the focus point where you wish (just like you would with a joy stick)? I used it with my E-M1 II's and it worked perfectly fine.
That touch screen is not as convenient to use as a joy stick, with a joy stick you dont have to move/change grip, plus that touch screen work pretty bad with glows or in really wet or cold weather.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I don't think it's controversial either. I just don't understand why the Olympus exec is going off and talking about people who buy a $400 DLSR. That's not the intended target market of the E-M1 X at all.

Nobody sits there and thinks "Should I buy this $3,000 Olympus camera that doesn't come with any lenses, or this $500 CaNikon kit that comes with the camera, two lenses, a memory card, and a storage bag?".

It just seemed like a very odd comment to make when you're giving an interview attempting to justify your brand new $3,000 camera.
I took it as a reason why they are targeting upscale cameras. They want to sell to people who know why they want a camera and what they are going to do with it. Happy Snappers who just throw a m4/3 or SLR in Auto mode and mindlessly shoot sometimes find their images flatter and maybe out of focus (due to thin DOF) vs their iPhone. They don't ever print large enough to see the 100% crop advantages either.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Yeah, that's for sure not the case, and actually hasn't been true for at least 5 years.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 vs Canon EOS 40D | DxOMark

The first generation of an entry-level M4/3 camera with a sensor that is now 6-years old is still ahead of the 40D in every measurable aspect of sensor quality.

When hyperbole like that leaks into the discussion, it's hard to take the rest of it too seriously.
I traded my 60D for a GX7 and it was an upgrade. Noise was the same or better, but DR was markedly better. Lenses were also sharper and focused more quietly and accurately.

Wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a good troll, I guess.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I took it as a reason why they are targeting upscale cameras.

Happy Snappers who just throw a m4/3 or SLR in Auto mode and mindlessly shoot sometimes find their images flatter and maybe out of focus (due to thin DOF) vs their iPhone. They don't ever print large enough to see the 100% crop advantages either.
I think that what we'll see in the coming years is a reversion in "photography" back to what it was like before digital. You non-serious photographers will get by with the cell phones (like the disposable film cameras of yesteryear), and your serious photographers will still buy cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. (like the people who took film photography seriously).

As far as printing goes, I truly wonder what percentage of users print in the following categories:
  • Cellphone
  • "Amateur" APS-C
  • "Professional" APS-C/DSLR
I love printing. My problem is that I like printing big (30x20 or larger), and I simply don't have enough wall space!

I don't get the point of spending thousands on camera equipment, bringing that equipment with you while you travel, and then letting the images reside on some hard-drive. To me it's like buying a Ferrari, driving it 1,000 miles a year at the speed limit, and parking it for the rest of the year.

D

Deleted member 20897

I traded my 60D for a GX7 and it was an upgrade. Noise was the same or better, but DR was markedly better. Lenses were also sharper and focused more quietly and accurately.

Wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a good troll, I guess.

View attachment 715482
Well, I think your first issue was that you were using Canon. The lateral offering from Nikon scored much better! LOL. I'm just busting your chops. :D

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Well that was your problem. You were shooing Canon :p
If you bought your first "real" camera in 2006-7, like I did, Canon was the only game in town. Easily a full stop better high ISO than the competition, markedly better AF, and already dozens of cheap used lens options even then. Sadly, they only put out one new sensor (that at-the-time amazing 18MP APS-C one) after I got in and then rode it for almost 10 years!

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I think that what we'll see in the coming years is a reversion in "photography" back to what it was like before digital. You non-serious photographers will get by with the cell phones (like the disposable film cameras of yesteryear), and your serious photographers will still buy cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. (like the people who took film photography seriously).
The difference this time, is that cell phones can actually take really nice photos in many different conditions, and of course digital makes it so you can see what you are getting. Disposables and cheap compacts were always a dice roll with few keepers on each roll.

As far as printing goes, I truly wonder what percentage of users print in the following categories:
  • Cellphone
  • "Amateur" APS-C
  • "Professional" APS-C/DSLR
I love printing. My problem is that I like printing big (30x20 or larger), and I simply don't have enough wall space!

I don't get the point of spending thousands on camera equipment, bringing that equipment with you while you travel, and then letting the images reside on some hard-drive. To me it's like buying a Ferrari, driving it 1,000 miles a year at the speed limit, and parking it for the rest of the year.
I have a huge HDR 4K TV that I bought recently. I've never seen prints look as good as my pics do on that TV. And it's not even that high end, just a mid-range Vizio. So just because people don't print, doesn't mean they are dying on a HDD. (But most probably are!)

Funny story related to your Ferrari analogy. Back in the early 90s my dad was building a massive 3 tiered pool for an extremely rich couple and got to know them very well, as it took months to build. The wife had bought the husband a top end Porsche 911 (at that time). He took out it out once and couldn't handle the power and ended up losing control and spinning a few times in traffic. He put it back in the garage and never drove it again. It's probably still there waiting for some future collector to find it.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

D

Deleted member 20897

I think it's not really fair to compare m4/3, Canon DX, and Nikon FX testing numbers. I'm not sure that's really lateral.
No, not fair at all...we are just having a little fun with it. :D
But if you wanted something closer - then the 2013 D7100 in Nikon is probably it.

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I really like this line from the interview: "Our R&D guys just sit next to professionals sometimes, and watch how they use the camera. That’s how they get inspiration."

Using an Olympus camera you can really feel that.

I don't think it's controversial either. I just don't understand why the Olympus exec is going off and talking about people who buy a $400 DLSR. That's not the intended target market of the E-M1 X at all.

Nobody sits there and thinks "Should I buy this $3,000 Olympus camera that doesn't come with any lenses, or this $500 CaNikon kit that comes with the camera, two lenses, a memory card, and a storage bag?".

It just seemed like a very odd comment to make when you're giving an interview attempting to justify your brand new $3,000 camera.
I think when you are paraphrasing snips of his comments it comes across completely out of context. I know you read it, but for the sake of others that may not have and are now seeing your variation, he was referring to ways they can try to compete against the instant technology in smartphones. In this instance he is concerned that people are buying these decent $400 cameras and then when they don't produce the expected results they shelve them. That in of itself will limit their ability to sell future cameras. So maybe by offering some future training courses they can help educate the masses that are interested in better photos and get them to not only shelve their $400 cameras but possibly even buy better ones. That's where the proper training, hands-on experiences, and and overall improved post-purchase experiences he mentions come into play.

Lastly, services - not in terms of repair, but what we can offer our customers. We are not a giant in the camera industry, we know that. So we cannot speak to all photographers, but for our users we want to provide good post-purchase experiences. This is a new vision we’ve been talking about in the past few months. If we meet in a year or two I hope that you’ll remember what I said in this meeting!

Many people buy $399 or $499 DSLRs and end up just abandoning them, because in some conditions the pictures might look worse than their phone. Unless we give proper training, information and proper hands-on experiences, it’s difficult to enjoy photography. Our responsibility is not only to create cameras, but to provide services after purchase. We’re currently thinking how we can use our current platform, or maybe a new digital platform.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
No, not fair at all...we are just having a little fun with it. :D
But if you wanted something closer - then the 2013 D7100 in Nikon is probably it.
View attachment 715490
For sure. The image quality from a D7100 is - for all intents and purposes - as good as any APS-C camera that has ever been made. The difference between it and a D500 or X-T3 or A6500 is vanishingly small.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Unless you're really into counting the grams.................Olympus thinking (price) is all to shit!

Canon 7dmkll Aus$1400
Canon 100-400mkll Aus$2100

Total A$3500 brand new and even less if buying used

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, no current m43 can match the noise/IQ that the above combo can provide and with a loss of reach and a lower price, the canon 6d is even better noise wise................I regret ever parting with it but my health dictated that if I needed to continue my photography, I needed to carry less weight.

I'll state it clear, and happily invite all kind of crap/flames from those who point to "renown" photographers espousing the m43 system, but who never display full res images on their blogs/web sites, despite their celebrity status,........................m43 just doesn't cut it when measured against apsc or full frame, with regard to DR and ISO...............end of.................. I couldn't care less which photographers those who disagree with me point me in the direction of, none of them will ever prove the(ir) point that m43 compares to apsc..................I couldn't care less that some say they have m43prints at 20x16 and they can't tell the difference between apsc at the same size. My apsc/full frame images on flickr beatm43 hands down................and sorry to those who espouse the system, even my old Canon 40D images in many cases beat m43. The fact of the matter is that when I enlarge ANY m43 image to 100% on the computer, I cringe..................which I never did with apsc or full frame. Even at 50% the noise at iso 400 makes me cringe compared to my previous kit..

OK, I'm anal when it comes to IQ and printing at 20x16 you would probably not know the difference....................but I DO know the difference on my computer...............does it matter to most folk? probably not................but it does to me because I have autistic genes and the constant defence of m43 with regards to IQ/dynamic range/noise is a crock of shit despite me buying into it...............accept it for what it is but don't fool yourselves that it has anything going for it other than weight/size and you may likely enjoy it as I am.

Back to the Rationale...................who employs these people? m43 has only one thing going for it............weight/size...............drift from that and you're on a loser
From what I see at the photographic club I belong to and one other I have attended as a guest in the main you are correct.
But as you say I accept Mu-43 as an acceptable compromise for what I do at this time

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Isn't the whole reason for having Touchpad AF so that you don't need a joy stick? You just use your thumb on the rear LCD to move the focus point where you wish (just like you would with a joy stick)? I used it with my E-M1 II's and it worked perfectly fine.
I have found that as soon as my hands get sweaty the touch pad on my G85 goes haywire, and skips all over the place. The EM10.2 touch pad is not responsive enough for me, but I am still looking into possible settings that I may have missed as it is still a new camera to me.

I have never tried the EM1.2 touch pad in the tropics so I dont know if it works better with sweaty fingers and damp screen. Can any one comment on the later Oly models it would be good to know as it is something you cant test in a shop.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom