OMD E-M1X Previews, reviews, and official announcement

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
AU$4k+ is well out of my price range for a body!

Same here. I asked a couple of stores in Elizabeth St, Melbourne whether they'd been selling and they both said no, not many at all.

"At $4300 the market is tiny". I agreed.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Well mine arrived today from DigiDirect... certainly the AU$4299 price hurt but it was softened a little by 2 x 32Gb 300x Sandisk cards included. Impressed so far and i'll try it out tomorrow at the tennis that's on locally. I shot last weekend with the mk2 at this event so this will be a nice test.

Last edited:

Zee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Surry Hills, Aus/ Baguio & Manila, Philippines
Same here. I asked a couple of stores in Elizabeth St, Melbourne whether they'd been selling and they both said no, not many at all.

"At $4300 the market is tiny". I agreed.

If it were about $3k, I'd seriously consider it. I may not buy it, but, I'd really think about it, and buying it would be 50/50. I'd certainly pick up a second hand one for $2000-$2400. I'll be curious to see how pricing goes if sales are not as expected. I'd like to see this thing succeed, but at the same time, I don't want to see Apple style price hikes as an ongoing thing.

Z...

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
agreed... yet at the same time I am also peachy-interested in how the 'rumoured' G90 is going to be... I hope similar to how I perceived in the 'replacement G85 thread' :)

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Congrats, Phil. Hope it's a killer sports cam for you.
Well I've just culled and tagged the photo's from the tennis today... it was a lovely 14c (cold) despite the camera telling me it was 20 :) ...
Here's my comment on the CAF-TR performance
WOW - The EM1X is really good in my opinion and this case
Took me a little bit of time to settle in as the AEL/AFL button does not quite fall to the thumb for BBF the same as the Mk2 but 20 minutes in techniques got better, i was also for the first time shifting the focus point around with the joystick(s) ... separate H and V points makes life easier.
Shoots that last week with the mk2 would have seen the focus shift to signage etc seemed just to stick to the players this week. The hardest part this week was culling out perfectly fine in focus images
I was using small focus point with CAF-TR, settled on sensitivity at -2 as there was some umbrellas and bits that just wanted to get in the way ... same setting as the mk2 last week.
I was booked in for a horse show event tomorrow but it's been cancelled due to rain ... looking forward to the next sporting event i can get to.

Admin - We need a mu43 EM1X owners thread (please)

davsv1

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
David
This page is well worth reading and book marking
Camera Function Guide
Although it won’t open on a iPad or iPhone
Ok the page opens but the drop downs don’t work for some reason
Helped me sort my setting on the X for motor sports

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
That's a terrible video!

Seemed fine to me.
Especially compared to some of the "expert mouths" out there. Some of whom have such an irritating presentation, that I do not view/listen to them any more.

That kind of gut level review, that tells me little about how the lens "feels" to use, is sometimes better than a clinical technical review.
IMHO, that "feel" can make or break a lens. Some call this the UI / User Interface.

Example1, I have not seen/read one BAD review on the Sigma 17-50/2.8. But having used one, I HATE it. And it is all the UI.
The zoom ring is STIFF. So STIFF that I had to use my arm to rotate the ring, I could not turn it with just my fingers. It is easily the stiffest zoom ring that I have used, so far.​
The only stiffer ring, that I know of, is the focus ring on the Hasselblad C lens. It is soo stiff, that Hasselblad made a clamp on lever, to increase the leverage to turn the focus ring.​
The zoom ring has a short 60 degree throw. This is probably one reason why the ring is so stiff to turn. The short throw requires a STEEP zoom cam, to extend/retract the zoom optics.​
The STIFF short throw makes it hard to make fine adjustments in the zoom, it tends to jump.​
Finally, for a Nikon user, the zoom ring turns in the WRONG direction. I kept turning it in the wrong direction, and kept loosing shots. This was so frustrating, that after about 15-20 minutes of that, I just put the lens away, frustrated. IF you shoot action/sports and zoom with muscle memory, the direction that the zoom ring turns is critical, to getting the shot or loosing it. But for casual use, it does not make a difference.​

Example2, the comparable Tamron 17-50/2.8 (non-VR version)
The zoom ring is EASY to turn (I could turn it with my fingers), has about a 90 degree throw, and is easy to make fine adjustments.​
The zoom ring turned in the same direction as my Nikon zooms.​
IOW, everything that I did not like about the Sigma, the Tamron did well.​
But, this is a comparatively older lens, so is probably optically behind the Sigma. Yet, the Tamron would be the one that I would buy, because of the better UI.​

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Can someone check their clock time in their E-M1X?

Mine has jumped ahead by an hour. I believe I set it back in the Fall so it should be fine, not an hour ahead. GPS in mine is switched off and not sure if it needs to be on.

hmmm... Same has happened with the E-M1 Mark II clock. Okay, the Pen-F clock is also one hour ahead.

If they have jumped - and I haven't forgot to change all three - then Olympus has the wrong time change dates for the USA DST I think. Not the first time I've seen this happen with hardware.

Latest threads

Top Bottom