OMD E-M1X Previews, reviews, and official announcement

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm impressed that it is able to somehow stack 16 shots for handheld high res (digital shifting being part of it but IBIS helping a lot) and merge in camera sufficiently quickly. That's an insane amount of exposure stacking.

However what I can do with the E-M1II keeps me very satisfied. Unfortunate that Olympus wasn't able to procure the equivalent of a baby A9 sensor for the E-M1X. We'll see what's in the pipelines for the E-M5II, PEN-F II and E-M10IV... Hopefully the E-M1III of the future will bring some interesting changes and that the E-M1X II if such a thing comes will have some of the hype noises made by the rumors.

It is interesting to read Imaging Resource's article with Olympus, it seems that they're sticking with their current processor architecture and implementing the changes on the software end rather than doing things with ASICs... If Olympus wants to win over some users, back-porting some of the features between models (cases where processor speed isn't sufficient aside) and implementing more features via firmware updates would be a good gesture on their end.

I'll stick with the E-M1II myself, I already have my ("huge") EF mount lenses (adapted in .71x and .64x, meaning getting a bigger sensor means very little to me) so it is easy to switch out if I ever felt like going to another platform but none of the other bodies interest me right now.

Last edited:

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sounded fair to me. I didn't heard any bashing or non legitimate critics. This camera feels more evolutionary than revolutionary. A BSI sensor to gain that extra half stop of light would have helped a bit. I'm not sure many EM-1 Mark II owners are going to fork 3k$ to upgrade.
Disagree a bit - the M1X isnt evolutionary as regards the Mi mkII - it's a completely different model/range above that for a different mission.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
For me the price is a non starter, as I agree with the sentiment about looking at FF kits if I'm looking at that price range. The reusing old, kind of outdated parts, in a body this expensive is very strange indeed, I can see why so many are not happy with this release. I am glad to see handheld hi res finally work though.
Outdated parts?
Which ones?

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't see any reason to be less than positive about it. Rich kids of instagram are financing this same tech coming to the next E-M10 when the budget perf/watt reaches parity with the M1X. You're getting a free lunch!

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's a brick. With the same sensor, IQ isn't greatly improved. No competitive advantage was achieved. The technology will be easy to replicate, and it will not stand the test of time. Once the technology is copied, other formats will surpass this. Olympus hyped the EM1 MKII the same, and both bodies have shown underwhelming, real-world results. As much as I hate to admit it, Olympus should stick to smaller cameras. Lot's of lipstick on this pig, and nothing is truly superior that can't be copied. No more money for Olympus from me until they do something with the sensor, and Panasonic probably said it best with its "wham, bam, thank you mam" for this format. I fell for it with the EM1 MKII. This time it's a definite no with an attitude.
Hmm -really easy to copy, but hasn't been for the most part that I've noticed, and Olympus still leads with IBIS and real world high res.
Anyone who thinks a native 40MP M43 sensor in the near future is in fantasy land and then would instantly complain they'd prefer less pixels with better DR etc ...

Wibbly23

Mu-43 Regular
great. now it's released everyone who spent the last few months pipe dreaming about features they'd like to see (some of which were outlandish to put it lightly) can express their disappointment that their outrageous ideas didn't happen, and the people who have spent countless hours posting about how it's too big can continue to do so.

and then there are the people who criticize it for not being some groundbreaking body, then also criticize the reviews for criticizing it. can you possibly be satisfied?

what's the point of all this? i'm newer on this forum but man the never ending complaining about this em1x has completely ruined the charm.

Last edited:

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Did you miss the whole conversation about the EVF and LCD screen going on for the last 10 pages? Plus having the exact same sensor as the em1.2 in a $3k camera being released next month....
Chris Eyre-Walker seems to believe the EVF performs better than than in the m-1 MkII due to the improved imaging pipeline - but what would he know ...?
I'm happy with my totally obsolete M-5 MkII EVF.

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
I do think the response is a little over the top, given the fact that exactly zero people here have used one. I've read some pretty glowing reviews, and some criticism. Let's hear some reviews from independent people who have used them in the field for a while. The specs aren't the only thing that matters, even if they're somewhat disappointing. The headroom for computational features is really interesting...

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That DPReview video is brutal.
I don't see that. I simply see an honest review. m4/3's strong point is not high iso, so it struggles when you have to crank it to get shutter speed. Simply physics. At that price point, you will get cleaner images from cheaper systems.
It simply goes back to what attracted me to m4/3 originally, that being small, fast & sharp primes, that help compensate for the worse iso performance. Not big bulky bodies & slowish zooms. I honestly don't see this camera as the way forward for m4/3. The new technologies are nice, but they don't solve the very core issues that Pro/action photographers are going to be wowed by.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
If nothing else, when the EM1MkIII does come out, you can be sure a better EVF and rear screen are going to be the first features they talk about.

I'd hate to be on the Oly PR team right now.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Now that the E-M1X is basically just an E-M1II + software upgrade + new exterior I lost all hope regarding the E-M5III. I thought now that E-M1X would be taking a giant leap forward Olympus could afford to give AF-C to E-M5 as well but obviously that ain't going to happen. Not in a million years. Now I'm starting to wonder if they'll even put a 20Mpx sensor on it. Maybe they'll just add a new art filter and call it a day?

It's funny how things have developed during the past ~5-7 years. I remember when Fuji was more expensive than Olympus and had an AF system that everybody was laughing at (or feeling sorry for). Canon's mirrorless were a joke. Fast forward to this date and it seems that Nikon, Canon, Fuji and Sony are doing all (well, not ALL but close enough) the right things and the brand that everyone is laughing at is Olympus. Especially the Olympus pricing is being ridiculed - and not without a reason IMO. Canon has already pushed Olympus off the mirrorless throne in Japan and downfall isn't slowing down after this E-M1X flop (yes, I call it a flop since it basically an overpriced software upgrade).

Even the lens roadmap suggests that Olympus isn't launching new lenses this year (the only lens they've given any information so far is to be released next year) so I'm sure this year will be a year to forget to Olympus - which ironically is celebrating its 100th anniversary.

DennyVanNostrand

Mu-43 Veteran
Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Sounds reasonable. I think the camera will be fine in daylight sporting events. I keep thinking about this image Jared Polin showed of a football player. He was pointing out the grain which he didn't like. I gotta say the grain in that image looked awesome.

Edit: I said that wrong. Jared didn't like the noise, he did like the grain.
I downloaded the raw files from Jared Polin's site. They are DNGs so I'm not sure how he produced them (I guess formal raw support isn't available for the usual PP packages). However, they are all shot at ISO 4000 or higher. The light isn't great. If you view them at 100% they're pretty ugly. Adding some NR helps, but it's still a long way from what an FF camera would deliver in these conditions.

Personally, I think that anything over about ISO 1600 on m43 is ugly. Sure there are some scenes and moods where it doesn't matter, but shooting sports and wildlife isn't in that category since detail is important. So is subject isolation for sports shooting. In fact, I can't think of a subject less conducive to m43 than indoor sports.

At base ISO where narrow DOF doesn't matter m43 can hang with FF. What's more m43 has absolutely top class lenses and a huge range of them at that. That means landscape, cityscape, portrait, street, ...

But this camera isn't really the camera for any of those genres. As Jared says, and he's totally right, serious or Pro sports shooters won't be using m43. Please Olympus - give us the E-M5iii. Make sure it's got the best tech you can throw at it and keep pushing the IQ/ size trade off since that's where m43 makes sense.

Real Name
Loren
The direction Oly is taking is to rely on computational photography to make up for sensor size deficiencies and introduce new and different features and advantages. I’m fine with that, and for my use cases, it actually serves me quite well most of the time. But that seems to be the biggest compliment about this camera; that it is pointed in a good direction.

If the general C-AF is somewhat improved, And the AI learning can boost it up to higher levels for specific targets, then I will consider that aspect to be a success if and when they start training for birds, animals and people.

But I still would not buy this camera at that price with that EVF and that sensor. It will have to be significantly discounted.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom