OMD e-m10 LCD issue..is it really an issue?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by K_OMD, Feb 16, 2014.

1. K_OMD

K_OMD New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2014
    Hi, I have one issue/question to confirm:
    When I turn on my omd e-m10 with my lens cap on, there is a little green color appearing on top left side of the LCD. It like there is some pressure on LCD at that point. Is that a serious issue? If not, I am ok with that.

Image:
    IMG_2081.

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Have you done a pixel map? That looks more like sensor-glow from the lens-cap being on than an aberration in the LCD.

3. K_OMD

K_OMD New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2014
    ok..how to do pixel mapping? And sensor glow is not a problem..right? And Thanks for the answers :)

4. K_OMD

K_OMD New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2014
    Took a picture with lens cap on. No such issue in the image. In fact, I try to take picture in the dark without lens cap and i can see the glow in LCD. The issue is with LCD only, not the sensor. The images are fantastic. Its like when you press an LCD and it produces glow due to liquid movement. Not sure if it is a serious issue though. I can live with that if it remains same and not become worse :D

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You just got it. Contact the seller and get a new one. That's what you paid for and you may want to sell it some day.

6. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Just to be sure, if you look at those lens-cap images on a computer screen do you see the glow there too?

7. K_OMD

K_OMD New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2014
    Nope. The images are perfectly ok.

8. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Ok, then back it should go. Sounds like the LCD may have warped when it was mounted in the camera.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I know the temptation is not to go through the trouble, but something is clearly wrong and B&H will do right by you.

10. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Seems a general LCD clouding issue.

11. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    I have this exact same issue on my EM-10. I am not able to produce this except for when the lens cap is on too. I wonder if its supposed to be like that for some reason? It has no affect on image quality. If I aim at something black I can't reproduce it, its just when cap is on. Very tempted to just keep it.

12. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    IMHO, this does not sound like anything worth returning a camera for, even if it is new. I mean, it makes no difference - the problem goes away when the lens cap is removed; it does not affect the images it takes even when the lens cap is on, etc. You might not even notice it if you weren't looking for it. I suppose if it meant some pressure was being applied to the LCD panel somehow, it might threaten the long-term integrity of the camera, but somehow I doubt it. I'd keep it. Just MHO.

13. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Does anyone here have an EM10 that does not have this issue? I'm curious if all of them have this. Its really annoying.

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I seem to recall seeing this on other devices as well (I forget which though). Is it not just that the bright spot is where the light is sourcing from to light the panel?

15. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    I've had my E-M10 for about 2 weeks and I don't have this issue. Hope that helps.

16. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Looks like typical light bleed from an lcd monitor to me, guess the question is if it's coming from the screen or the lens cap?

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And thus we now understand why there are so many refurbished Olympus products on the market when compared to Panasonic.
    Panasonic simply has better production & inventory control.

I wish you good will in your return...

18. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    this helped... make me sad =(

Now I have to return it. It's just annoying to look at. Its LCD bleed and I hate it. Otherwise a fantastic camera, I love it - but its going back.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This certainly appears to be true. Oddly, I owe most of my current kit to this Olympian deficiency.

• Like Like x 3
  20. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    At this point I think, with that much light bleed it looks like the LCD panel was warped when it was installed or after it was bolted in.
    This is not 1995 - it's not common for this sort of defect to show up regularly. This shouldn't happen with a production camera. I still think you should take it back and have them replace it.

If the panel is actually warped, it may actually keep moving over the life of the camera. Down the line the substrate could crack and you'll end up with an LCD that leaks all over the backside of the camera.