1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD E-M10 II Will you update

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by StefanKruse, Aug 22, 2015.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    43Rumours published the specs for the new E-M10II.

Anything that would make you upgrade. I am thinking no as this seems like a minor step in evolution and perhaps a bit disappointing.

– 16MP Live MOS sensor
    – 5-axis camera shake correction
    – Video Full HD 60p
    – 4K time-lapse movie
    – Continuous shooting 8.5 frames / sec.
    – EVF is 2.36 million dot organic EL
    – LCD monitor three inches tilting
    – built-in Wi-Fi
    – The body is made of metal
    – The color is black and silver
    – Kit, the body only, EZ lens kit, double zoom kit

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I like the new dials. 5-axis IBIS is a big change. The 4K time-lapse movie is kind of cool, I like watching time-lapse videos. Having better video is an improvement. My wife is happy with her current E-M10 so, no, we won't upgrade it. It will be interesting to see how it is priced versus the E-M5 ii, it could turn out to be a bargain.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I like the 5 axis stabilization and really like the 2.36M viewfinder, but it's not enough to get me to trade in my current E-M10. I'll wait for the E-M1 Mk.2.

4. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Any news on the max. Shutter speed?

5. pmon

pmon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Milan
    Paolo
    Well ... It starts to be tempting. I have e-p5 and I start to suffer of the size it gets with v-f4, if that thing will have same viewfinder as em5 ii with lower price I might start booking Christmas gift[emoji6]

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    No

7. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Same. I just picked up an E-M10 and want to learn all the ins and outs before I upgrade. I don't do enough video work for that to mean anything to me. The 3-axis IBIS works a treat as is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    If AF-C is better than before, it's good to upgrade.

9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I bet IQ is virtually unchanged - so the bulk of the changes involve handling improvements (for me, anyway - I'm a stills shooter!). Nice, but I like the way the E-M10 handles quite a bit, and I simply don't find it lacking in operation. It's the E-M5 II that actually has *all* the features I'm missing (faster mechanical shutter with no rolling shutter effects, very good weather sealing - and I'd also get the new EVF and better IBIS) - so I'll probably wait till the price of that body comes down a bit further ...

M.

10. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I'm going to see how the features compare against my E-M5II. If it has 0 shutter shock with low burst, and focusing between shots, like my E-M5II, I'll most likely trade up from my E-M10. The caveat is at what price? If the features are right, but the launch price puts it within a couple of hundred $$ of a used E-M5II, I'll probably pick up a second M5II body to replace my M10 for the field. I'll keep my PL7 for the street.

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Nope, if I upgrade my EM10 to anything it will be a GX8 ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Based on recent history, I would guess that Oly is going to raise the price on the E-M10 II, possibly to $800. They raised the price of the E-PL7 compared to the E-PL5/6 and the E-M5 II compared to the E-M5. I would not be interested in buying one for that price, considering you can get a new E-M5 II with North American warranty for $800 right now on eBay.

And the E-M10 II looks like a cost-saving move, since they can produce these along side the E-M5 II in their Vietnam factory, and they'll probably share many of the same components (sensor/CPU/IBIS/EVF/dial mechanisms). But given that the current market for the E-M5 II doesn't seem that hot to be selling for $800, I think it will be a tough sell.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm all for these updates. Lots of folks don't have an EM10 yet and they will get a better camera. Nothing here, however. will make me upgrade from my current EM10. Not enough bang for the buck, at least for a stills shooter. I find the 3 axes IBIS to work pretty well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    No incentive for me to upgrade there. I've only had my EM10 mk1 for a few months and I'm very happy with it so far. I think G5 to GX8 or even 600d to 760d would be more beneficial to me.

15. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
    Paul
    I'll be keeping my mk1 as I bought the 5mkii for the water and dust resistance.
    Had I not needed those features and price dependant I may have bought one so I had two bodies but as an upgrade?? Nope.
    The 5 axis and better evf are nice but not essential and I rarely shoot video.

16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I would have love to upgrade my E-M5 to mk2 but the swivel screen ruined that plan so I turned my attention to E-M10II (knowing that it wouldn't be for me either). It's seems that the E-M10II has the good old flip screen ( :love::love::love:), BUT... It' doesn't have weathersealing - as expected. Obviously I would have also liked to have HiRes mode too but it doesn't matter anyway since the weathersealing is missing and it's a "no go" for me. Too bad.

I guess it takes at least 3 more years till I get to upgrade my camera... IF the E-M5III has a flip screen. Otherwise I'm stuck with the original for life. :coco:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    The 5-axis IBIS and the EVF upgrade are probably the most interesting changes from my point of view. However, I expect the camera to cost considerably more at launch than its predecessor. So while I'm all for having the shiniest gadget etc, I would probably still have gone for the "old" version which gives you more bang for the buck, and spend the leftover money on good lenses.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The original EM10 (body only) is $499 at Amazon and the international version for $379. That's a lot of camera for the money. The Mk II can now have it's price reset at intro prices ($799?) for a while and still have some nice OMDs out there for <$500.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  19. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Nope!!

20. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    No I don't think so. I bought the em10 for its size. If I want more features I'll go em1 or 5ii.

But I think it's great to keep advancing!