1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD E-M1 wi-fi range

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gupster, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Hi Everyone

I need a bit of info from you E-M1 owners.

I need to be able to control it remotely via wi-fi using the Olympus android app from around 20m. The android device and the OMD will have direct line of sight, i.e the wi-fi signal wouldn't have to go through walls etc.

Is that sort of distance at all possible?

Cheers

Mark

2. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    why not try it out? :)

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I found I can get about 25 feet away - line of sight to the front of the camera before the Live View image begins to degrade.
    At 50 feet, I noticed the app getting quite sluggish with camera control.

Depending on what's around you, you may be able to squeeze 20 meters. I did my tests down the long hallway of my apartment so your mileage may vary.

4. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    I'm on the verge of pressing the button to purchase but the wi-fi aspect needs to be right for the particular task I have in mind.

5. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't know?.. my experience, I have a E-M1 and when I tried to use wifi with my Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3, it's been losing signal within 2 minutes or so. And, my wifi signal should be strong.. I'm right next to the camera!?

It's not all crap with wifi connection... I feel my connection to my iPad 2 has been much stronger and I don't recall the connection to the camera ever disconnecting unexpectedly.

Good luck!

6. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thank you. That's really useful info.

The camera will actually be about 60' in the air so it's looking like the E-M1 might come up a bit short for wi-fi control at that distance. I really would need reliable live view to justify the purchase at the moment.

Thanks again

Mark

7. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thank you.

I would be using a tablet to control the E-M1 so I wonder..........Does the size of the device have any influence on the strength of it's wi-fi signal - e.g a larger device can contain larger wi-fi transmitter?

I'll have to do a bit more research to see if the android app is generally as unreliable as you've found it.

Cheers

Mark

8. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thank you.

I would be using a tablet to control the E-M1 so I wonder..........Does the size of the device have any influence on the strength of it's wi-fi signal - e.g a larger device can contain larger wi-fi transmitter?

I'll have to do a bit more research to see if the android app is generally as unreliable as you've found it.

Cheers

Mark