OMD E-M1 wi-fi range

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gupster, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Hi Everyone

I need a bit of info from you E-M1 owners.

I need to be able to control it remotely via wi-fi using the Olympus android app from around 20m. The android device and the OMD will have direct line of sight, i.e the wi-fi signal wouldn't have to go through walls etc.

Is that sort of distance at all possible?

Cheers

Mark

2. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    why not try it out? :)

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I found I can get about 25 feet away - line of sight to the front of the camera before the Live View image begins to degrade.
    At 50 feet, I noticed the app getting quite sluggish with camera control.

Depending on what's around you, you may be able to squeeze 20 meters. I did my tests down the long hallway of my apartment so your mileage may vary.

4. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    I'm on the verge of pressing the button to purchase but the wi-fi aspect needs to be right for the particular task I have in mind.

5. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't know?.. my experience, I have a E-M1 and when I tried to use wifi with my Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3, it's been losing signal within 2 minutes or so. And, my wifi signal should be strong.. I'm right next to the camera!?

It's not all crap with wifi connection... I feel my connection to my iPad 2 has been much stronger and I don't recall the connection to the camera ever disconnecting unexpectedly.

Good luck!

6. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thank you. That's really useful info.

The camera will actually be about 60' in the air so it's looking like the E-M1 might come up a bit short for wi-fi control at that distance. I really would need reliable live view to justify the purchase at the moment.

Thanks again

Mark

7. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thank you.

I would be using a tablet to control the E-M1 so I wonder..........Does the size of the device have any influence on the strength of it's wi-fi signal - e.g a larger device can contain larger wi-fi transmitter?

I'll have to do a bit more research to see if the android app is generally as unreliable as you've found it.

Cheers

Mark

8. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thank you.

I would be using a tablet to control the E-M1 so I wonder..........Does the size of the device have any influence on the strength of it's wi-fi signal - e.g a larger device can contain larger wi-fi transmitter?

I'll have to do a bit more research to see if the android app is generally as unreliable as you've found it.

Cheers

Mark

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.