OMD E-M1 vs E-M5II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeffnesh, Feb 1, 2016.

1. jeffnesh

jeffnesh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2010
    Iowa
    Some background: I'm wanting to pick up an OMD. I last used m43 about 4 years ago, as a secondary to my Leica M, but in between have used only the Leica and on occasion dabbled with Fuji X. One would think the Fuji is a good complement to the Leicas, but I've never really gotten on with it. I've poked around at sony, but really have a soft spot for Olympus when it comes down to it.

I have two use cases for the OMD:

1) rehearsal shots for a small professional theater. Yeah, I know I'm trading some high ISO for better reach and IBIS, but from looking around I think I'll be okay. On occasion, we print LARGE (40"x30") for the lobby, usually black and white, and that might push the 43 sensor, but again, based on looking around (in particular some of Kirk Tuck's thoughts) I think I'll be alright. Or am I wrong?

2) I do like macro still life. I'm very intrigued by the 40mp 'High Res Shot' feature. Has that been rolled into the E-M1 via firmware, or is it limited to the E-M5II?

So I'm thinking 40-150mm, a couple primes and a body. Don't know which body/feature set would be best for that, though. Especially with the 40-150, I like the heft and size of the E-M1. It'd be a no brainer except I think I'm missing the high res shot? Or is high res (if not included) just a gimmick I'd never miss?

Looks like we're expecting a mark II for the e-m1, but I'll have three big shoots in the next couple months, so probably not wanting to wait at this point.

Thoughts on my thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    High Res is currently limited to EM5II and Pen-F only.
    Would 75mm work for your theater work? It's extra stop faster and less expensive.

IMO, in macro you will benefit more from focus stacking (EM1 only) or focus bracketing (both EM1 and EM5II) than from 40MP (not compatible with bracketing/stacking)

Btw, reconditioned EM1 and EM5II are currently at $719, though I'd still add extended warranty fo another $100

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    I have the EM5II. I have not used the EM1 but doing the research when I was looking I could not find any reason to buy the EM1 over the EM5ii. The only thing I can see is the ergonomics of it being slightly larger. But feature-wise - I think the EM5ii is the go to.

4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    1: I've never tested 5MKII, but I don't like the way the touch display folds.

2: AFAIK EM1 is supposed to be their flagship if you disregard the 40mpx thing that 5MkII got. (At least as far As I know).

3: I even got think EM1 got another (better?) sensor contra 5MKII/10MKII. It should be info about that somewhere on the net.

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I've done 30x40 prints from my old E-5 (not EM5), and I look at one everyday, but from a distance of 15'...so it really depends on the media and the viewing distance. Just don't plan on cropping as you'll want all the resolution you can get. It can be done...as I do that size prints from my EM1 now as well. You'll want a sharp fast lens like the 75mm or 150mm f2...assuming you'll need some reach to your lens. If not the 45 and 25 are still amazingly sharp. You mention the 40-150mm f2.8...that would work as well, but the other lenses will be brighter.

I'd choose the EM1 over the em5ii, so you could have some flexibility with 4/3 glass...as well as some possible ergonomic advantages over the em5ii (depending on your tastes) for handing larger glass.

Go with used/refurbed, so that you don't loose too much money when the prices drop like a lead ball when the em1ii comes out.

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    If you are ever considering using 4/3rd glass, the EM1 would be preferable. I like the grip on the EM1, but you can use a supplemental grip on the EM5 II. Otherwise, it's a toss-up, and if you want the HDR mode, you would have to go with the EM5 II... that is, until the rumored EM1 II comes out. :)

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd only get the E-M5 II if you plan on taking advantage of the 40mp/60mp hi res mode. If not, I'd get the E-M1.

8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The E-M5 II high resolution mode is only suitable for shooting something with no motion in it, using a tripod. If you aren't going to use that feature, the E-M1 is a nicer handling camera when you're using larger/heavier lenses.

9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    1) Will you be alright? That depends on your standards for image quality at those large sizes. Going by Kirk Tuck's or someone else's thoughts on the matter is fine if their standards are the same or higher than your standards but it may not be fine if your standards are higher than theirs. I don't think this is a question that others can answer for you, it's one I think you need to answer for yourself. We don't know what your standards are for those image sizes.

2) budeny answered this perfectly.

You said you're thinking the 20-150 but which 40-150, the f/2.8 PRO lens or the older and slower lens? You didn't say. I assume you meant the PRO lens but if you meant the older lens then I think the difference in lens speed and the higher ISO settings required may well have a negative impact on the answer to your first question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeffnesh

jeffnesh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks for the insights. And thanks for the heads up on the refurb pricing...that makes a lot of sense. I'm leaning toward the E-M1.

As for the long lens, I meant 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO. *Maybe* a used 150mm f/2.0 (which would require the E-M1), but probably not.

Thanks again.

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Jeff
    You seem confused... or maybe I am confused...I know a bit of the mindset of a Leica M shooter.. I live with one!! Looking at your highway30.org, you obviously have an eye...but I don't get the rest of the insecurity.

Nobody ever went to a play on the strength of the technical quality of the lobby shot... Get compelling image and no-one will give a monkeys fart to how it was made

Forget the hi res thing... completely useless off tripod and with a moving subject

There is always better tomorrow.. but sometimes you have to get sh#t done today

K

12. jeffnesh

jeffnesh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2010
    Iowa
    Kevin, yeah, most everything I shoot is with the M. But for the theater shoots, even with cropping, I've needed at least 100mm (35 equivalent) or more reach. I have a heck of a time nailing focus with a summarit 90 when given time, let alone when things are moving quickly. I'm just looking for a bit of kit to fill this gap. You're right about technical quality. I'm pretty sure m43s will give me what I need, and really have no interest in hefting a FF nikon+lens to my eye for a couple of hours at a time.

As for hi res, didn't expect anything beyond tripod-based still life (separate use case from the theater), but just as another gap I have between an interest and the way I approach rangefinders...

Thanks.

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    You are at rehearsal at a local theatre... so you are not exactly in a 'smash and grab' situation.You know the people there?.. you can get close?.. they have stage lighting?

I am missing something here about basic comprehensive of the process of taking a photo

Leica M and 90mm is working towards the upper ninja end of that brand of photography

14. jeffnesh

jeffnesh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2010
    Iowa
    I know the 'management'. The 'artists' aren't always excited. I can shoot a tech rehearsal in progress, can't stop and pose, usually can't be on stage. Can't get too close, thus the need for reach. The 'ninja' thought is why I'm looking for something to make my life a little easier. What the theater is going for with archival shots (as well as a few promotional, though that's mostly staged and I'm comfortable with the M there) isn't the strong suit, or my strong suit with, the Leica. I'm not giving up the Leica as a primary platform. Just looking to augment with something a little fun to play with and will fill a couple specific gaps I've not been happy with in Leica-land.

Thanks for all the input...

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have both the EM5 II with grip and the EM1. For you it sounds like a toss up unless you want to use the older 4/3 glass. With the grip on the 5II, both bodies have similar ergonomics although the M1 feels a bit better in the since it's an integrated whole. Of course, the grip comes off the EM5 II and then you'll have a really small body that is coat pocketable with a pancake like the 20. The high res mode doesn't sound that useful for your kind of work. The high iso noise is similar and of less importance if you want to do B&W. Does tilt vs. fully articulated screen matter to you? That's very personal. The good news is I don't think you can really go wrong with either. The EM1 I have is a refurb and has worked well. If you're not bothered by refurbs, it will save you some money. Which would I grab for business purposes? Probably the M1 because it just shoots so well.

16. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    What is with the em1 and the 4/3 glass? Does it support it better than the em5ii?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 mobile app

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The EM1 has PDAF points on sensor and will focus those older lenses faster. The EM5 II with grip has similar ergonomics.

18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Yes. I personally wouldn't shoot old 4/3 glass with anything other than an em1 (with mmf-3) or an old e-5

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yes, because it has both Phase Detect and Contrast Detect focus sites on the sensor. The PD-AF sites make it much better for use with 4/3rds lenses. The EM5 II and all other Olympus M43 cameras only have CD-AF sites on their sensors, which is fine for M43 native lenses. It's not that you can't use 4/3rds lenses on the CD-AF only cameras, but the lenses focus much slower on them. I have a 4/3rds 50-200 SWD on my EM1 and it works great.

Olympus stopped development of their 4/3rds DSLR cameras (E-series) when the EM1 came out, intending that it would be the replacement camera for 4/3rds lens users.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  20. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The 150 f/2 is an amazing lens. If you don't mind the prime I would get it over the 40-150.